Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ascend Acoustics Speakers and Turntable Use

Default Ascend Acoustics Speakers and Turntable Use

Current owner of the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 speakers, using a Technics SL-Q2 turntable and am looking to upgrade both within the next six months to a year. Doing my research now.

I'm leaning toward the Technics SL-1200GR and am looking to upgrade my speakers to either the Sierra Towers with RAAL or the new Sierra 2EX RAAL.

For those with experience with vinyl and Ascend Acoustic speakers, what amplifier seems to pair really well with them?

If you need more information about my setup, ask away!

Thanks!

Default Re: Ascend Acoustics Speakers and Turntable Use

As to amp, what's your budget?
    As to vinyl rig, what phono prepro are you using? Cartridge?

FWIW, my vinyl rig is as follows:
    * VPI Classic I turntable with mods (JMW-10 3D arm, VTA on the fly base, periphery ring, stainless weight), sitting on a Symposium Segue ISO.
    * VAS Nova HW special MC cartridge (currently installed. I also have a Soundsmith Paua and Carmen)
    * Manley Chinook phono preamp (with Amperex 7308 in the first gain stage, Genalex Gold Lions in the other), sitting on Symposium Roller Blocks
    * Bob's Devices Sky 20 SUT
    * Sweetvinyl SC-1 mini (for those albums that don't clean up well and still have ticks/pops)
    * Audiosensibility Impact cables.

Feeds into Anthem MRX720, with Sierra Raal Towers for FL/FR, driven by Rogue Atlas Magnum II tube amp. I usually also use my subs (2xE15 Rythmiks) with vinyl.

I really like the Rogue amp for vinyl. One day, I may try a D-Sonic Class D amp (although there have been posts that class D may not be the best for speakers with RAAL tweeters).
    Last edited by racrawford65; 12-02-2020 at 03:56 AM.

I have a Parasoung P6/A23+ combination driving my Sierra 2EXs. My turntable is a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC that has been upgraded with a Ortofon 2M Blue stylus. I am very pleased...for now.

First Post here.

I just ordered a pair of 2EX's in Black Bamboo for my small listening room. They will be in a system including a restored Tandberg 3026A amp (clean 150 WPC +++) & 3008A Pre with a Yamaha YP-D71 and Stanton 681 DTL3s Stereohedron cart. Also have a Marantz SA-8005 SACD player and DAC for High Res. Will be listening to some older favorite Rock, 80's and a lot of 50's and early 60's Jazz. I hope those cymbals shimmer and the bass hits me in the chest. They will be almost near field in a small room... music only. I can't wait.

This is the first time I have broken the $1k barrier for speakers and have been listening to many restored Epicure and EPI's for years. I will always love them as they just sound so good to me. They are just too big for this space, hence the new speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    As to amp, what's your budget?
    As to vinyl rig, what phono prepro are you using? Cartridge?

FWIW, my vinyl rig is as follows:
    * VPI Classic I turntable with mods (JMW-10 3D arm, VTA on the fly base, periphery ring, stainless weight), sitting on a Symposium Segue ISO.
    * VAS Nova HW special MC cartridge (currently installed. I also have a Soundsmith Paua and Carmen)
    * Manley Chinook phono preamp (with Amperex 7308 in the first gain stage, Genalex Gold Lions in the other), sitting on Symposium Roller Blocks
    * Bob's Devices Sky 20 SUT
    * Sweetvinyl SC-1 mini (for those albums that don't clean up well and still have ticks/pops)
    * Audiosensibility Impact cables.

Feeds into Anthem MRX720, with Sierra Raal Towers for FL/FR, driven by Rogue Atlas Magnum II tube amp. I usually also use my subs (2xE15 Rythmiks) with vinyl.

I really like the Rogue amp for vinyl. One day, I may try a D-Sonic Class D amp (although there have been posts that class D may not be the best for speakers with RAAL tweeters).
    I'm still researching what cartridge compliments the Technics SL-1200G and GR models. I currently use and am very happy with an Audio Technica VM540ML, so I'm already thinking of keeping it in the Audio Technica family.

AT makes some nice cartridges. The ART series are supposed to be very good.

AT makes some nice cartridges. The ART series are supposed to be very good.
    Have you heard/have an opinion on the Parasound Halo A 21+ Stereo Amplifier?

Sorry, I've not heard this amp. That said, I do think Parasound make excellent equipment. ATI are also top notch for amps. ATI also used to (and may still do) make amps for Outlaw (lower price point than branded ATI). The Monoprice Monolith amps are also made by ATI.

Sorry, I've not heard this amp. That said, I do think Parasound make excellent equipment. ATI are also top notch for amps. ATI also used to (and may still do) make amps for Outlaw (lower price point than branded ATI). The Monoprice Monolith amps are also made by ATI.
    I contacted ATI directly and they recommended me their AT6002 amplifier based off of my preferences and I just don't think I want to drop nearly $4000 on an amp right now.

I don't blame you - that's alot of money for an amp, IMO.