Thread: Low volume listening with Sierra 2EX

Default Low volume listening with Sierra 2EX

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of putting together my first decent audio setup. My research so far points to SVS Ultra bookshelves able to resolve details in low volume well. I rarely listen to music above 62db and being able to pick out details in low volume is very important.

I found out about Ascend's line of speakers. General consensus online is Sierra 2EX outperforms Ultras in all fronts. But I am not able to find any information on 2EX's ability to resolve detail in low volume. Can any current owners provide any feedback?

I plan to use Yamaha S801 to drive the speakers.

Thank you.

Default Re: Low volume listening with Sierra 2EX

I feel like I am able to hear nuances in the music even at low volumes with the Sierra 2EX. Maybe the low mass of the ribbon tweeter helps with this? Not sure. The regular Sierra-1 is probably closer to the same level as the SVS Ultras. Free returns from SVS so you could get both and compare
    Nate

My 2EXs are in my study at home, and I like to have music on while I'm working (except when I'm on Zoom) and so they're on pretty much all day, every day (yay working at home). Detail recovery, even at low volume, is excellent.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I feel like I am able to hear nuances in the music even at low volumes with the Sierra 2EX. Maybe the low mass of the ribbon tweeter helps with this? Not sure. The regular Sierra-1 is probably closer to the same level as the SVS Ultras. Free returns from SVS so you could get both and compare
    I have SVS Ultra on the way, I will audition them first since they have a longer home trial period then order Sierra 2EX after about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    My 2EXs are in my study at home, and I like to have music on while I'm working (except when I'm on Zoom) and so they're on pretty much all day, every day (yay working at home). Detail recovery, even at low volume, is excellent.
    Thank you, that's good to know. I look forward to trying out Sierra 2EX soon.