Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended sub for room

Default Re: Recommended sub for room

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    My room is 16x12x11 (11 foot is average as it is tiered) - so ~2100 cubic feet. However, it is open to the rear to a foyer then dining room (~925 + 2100 cubic feet = 3025 cubic feet) and den to the left (looking towards the front, den is around 23 x 20 x 10 or 4600 cubic feet). So, in total, around 9700-9800 cubic feet.

As to listening levels, depends on source and if wife is around. Music (vinyl) somewhere generally around -30 to -40, movies around -20 to -25 if wife is home. If she's out, I may turn up by 10 or so.

So 2 e15's (are they the hp's) obviously do well in this room? Why was I advised 2 fv15's from Enrico? I suppose he was just trying to make sure that I had crushing bass at reference levels(lol), idk.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Ahh, a virgin. Well, the first time you listen to a movie that really works the low end, it'll be life-changing. Well, OK, maybe not life-changing, but it's quite an experience. Actually going from nothing to two F18s really might be life-changing, I can only imagine.

If she's letting you fork out $3.7k for a pair of F18s, you're really doing incredibly well on the WAF thing. :-) It's not like F18s are actually small or anything...

Setting your speakers physically on top of your subwoofers is generally not recommended; Dave can give you technical details on this.

Hmm, not sure I agree there. Ported vs. sealed are different, but one isn't necessarily better than the other. Porting is, in some sense, a trick to get more low-frequency response out of a speaker. You get more SPL per watt at around the port frequency, but you get a steeper fall-off below that, so it's more an issue of what you're looking for than one being absolutely better than the other. My HT sub is sealed and it's fine.

Yes, easily. As Dave said, you'd probably be more than fine with a pair of E15HPs. Frankly, a pair of FVX12s would probably even do the trick, especially if you're coming from zero subs. Enrico is a great guy, but his recommendations are generally based on listening at reference-level volume (or higher), which is CRAZY loud. Since you're going even bigger than his recommendation, yes, it'll crush your place.

Hide all pets and small children.
    Sunbyrne thank you for all the info. It is reassuring knowing that this will be plenty subwoofer. Better to have too much than not enough right. On the point of placing speakers on top of subwoofers, why is this a bad idea? falling off? If you isolate the speaker from the subwoofer wouldn't it be just like having full range tower speakers in front of you?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jml525 View Post
    So 2 e15's (are they the hp's) obviously do well in this room? Why was I advised 2 fv15's from Enrico? I suppose he was just trying to make sure that I had crushing bass at reference levels(lol), idk.
    E15's, not the HP2 with the HX1000 amp. Work fine for me. I am mainly music with the occasional movie. Not one of those movie watchers that want to strongly "feel" the bass.