Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra2EX upgrade - recycle parts into new speaker

Cool Sierra2EX upgrade - recycle parts into new speaker

Hi,

I searched the forum but didn't see a thread on this topic.

I upgraded my very long time owned Sierra speakers to the latest EX. I think this is my third upgrade?

Of course, I have a couple of woofers and crossovers leftover. In the past I think I sent these parts back to Ascend. I think I can do that again, but with no credit. Since I already paid for these parts, what else can I do with them?

I Just finished buiding the HiVi DIY 3.1A kit with modified crossover. You can watch it if it interests you. These are pretty great speakers for the money.

I go to Parts Express for ideas. I have found these "parts" that could be a pretty good match with my left over Sierra parts.

BR-1 Cabinet

Fountek NeoCD1.0 Ribbon Tweeter

The measurements (i.e.size) are close but of course not exact but I think I could figure out how to make it work?

I know that I can get this rig to make sound. It could be okay, great, or just awful?

I suspect Dave Fabrikant will be horrified?

But for about $150 and some sweat equity I could make a poor man's Sierra 2?

Please don't be too hard on me, this is just a fun project. No harm, no foul.

Default Re: Sierra2EX upgrade - recycle parts into new speaker

I was thinking if Ascend had some beat up Sierra cabinets lying around and some demo or damaged RAAL tweeters I wouldn't turn them down for $300 or $400. Pretty unlikely but just putting it out there.

This is a great idea, our planet needs all the help that it can get! Plus, save some $ for a system for another room.

Quote Originally Posted by ctbarker32 View Post
    Hi,

I searched the forum but didn't see a thread on this topic.

I upgraded my very long time owned Sierra speakers to the latest EX. I think this is my third upgrade?

Of course, I have a couple of woofers and crossovers leftover. In the past I think I sent these parts back to Ascend. I think I can do that again, but with no credit. Since I already paid for these parts, what else can I do with them?

I Just finished buiding the HiVi DIY 3.1A kit with modified crossover. You can watch it if it interests you. These are pretty great speakers for the money.

I go to Parts Express for ideas. I have found these "parts" that could be a pretty good match with my left over Sierra parts.

BR-1 Cabinet

Fountek NeoCD1.0 Ribbon Tweeter

The measurements (i.e.size) are close but of course not exact but I think I could figure out how to make it work?

I know that I can get this rig to make sound. It could be okay, great, or just awful?

I suspect Dave Fabrikant will be horrified?

But for about $150 and some sweat equity I could make a poor man's Sierra 2?

Please don't be too hard on me, this is just a fun project. No harm, no foul.
    The cabinet might work OK, although certainly not ideal. But the Fountek is a completely different ribbon and would require a new crossover. Crossover point, padding, impedance compensation are critical with a ribbon tweeter and the chances of the Fountek performing properly with the Sierra-2 crossover is nearly impossible. In fact, it could end up such that the Fountek is damaged. I don't recommend attempting this unless you have some experience in crossover design.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by ctbarker32 View Post
    I was thinking if Ascend had some beat up Sierra cabinets lying around and some demo or damaged RAAL tweeters I wouldn't turn them down for $300 or $400. Pretty unlikely but just putting it out there.
    Unfortunately, we would not be able to come close to that price range and it would be against my core beliefs to sell a damaged RAAL tweeter. Hmm.. if there is real demand for this, best option might be for me to release some DIY cabinet plans together with a Sierra-1 tweeter and crossover modification instructions...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I checked that BR-1 cabinet, it already has the woofer (and tweeter) cutouts in it. I am sure you understand that there is no standard size for woofer basket frames (or tweeters). The Sierra-2 woofer would practically fall through that woofer cutout, there would be no wood behind the woofer to actually screw into. Best to make your own cabinets or purchase cabinets that don't already have the cutouts.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Unfortunately, we would not be able to come close to that price range and it would be against my core beliefs to sell a damaged RAAL tweeter. Hmm.. if there is real demand for this, best option might be for me to release some DIY cabinet plans together with a Sierra-1 tweeter and crossover modification instructions...
    Hi Dave, thanks for chiming in with your thoughts. I like your idea for a DIY plans plus Sierra-1 tweeter! If it doesn't distract you too much from your core business, I think it could be a fun offering. Sign me up if you decide to implement this.
    Last edited by ctbarker32; 10-06-2020 at 09:41 AM.

I am just brainstorming at this point and appreciate you taking the time actually consider my ideas. I just felt with my left-over woofer and crossover from my EX upgrade, I was halfway to another speaker? I am also fresh off building a HiVi 3.1A speaker kit so I am emboldened to take on more.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    A way for Sierra owners to get some "garage speakers"?

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    A way for Sierra owners to get some "garage speakers"?
    I am going to get a quote from our local cabinet maker for an unfinished MDF flat pack cabinet.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com