Thread: CMT-340 owner looking to upgrade to Sierra Towers or Sierra 2EX

Default CMT-340 owner looking to upgrade to Sierra Towers or Sierra 2EX

I've recently decided to step away from the home theater end of things and to focus on a 2 Channel Music listening space for the living room. I'm a big vinyl junkie and this will be my primary source of listening as well as streaming such as Spotify and Tidal. I've been happy thus far with the CMT-340 but I have the itch to go bigger and bolder. I want to keep my next purchase in the Ascend family and not complicate things with other brands and models. That brings me to my choice between the Towers and the Sierra 2EX. Those who have similar listening tastes, what did you end up going with and are you happy with the choice you made?

Sub-question, I am also interested in a new amplifier and a new phono preamplifier to go along with these new speakers. Please recommend me products that will for sure accentuate the listening experience with either Ascends.

Current gear:
    Table: Technics SL-Q2​
    Cartridge: AT-VM540ML​
    Receiver: Denon x3400h​
    Preamp: Micromega MyGroov MM/MC​
    Speakers: Ascend Acoustics CMT-340​

The primary genres I listen to:​
    Jazz​
    Funk​
    Soul​
    Singer-Songwriter/Folk​
    Psychedelic Rock​
    Hip-Hop​

Room size:​
    The living room is my listening area. It's a 10x20 shoebox. I sit at the halfway mark, roughly 10ft away from the speakers.​

Default Re: CMT-340 owner looking to upgrade to Sierra Towers or Sierra 2EX

I went from S2 (not EX) to Towers with RAAL. 99% music (vinyl, as well). Couldn't be happier with the upgrade. Dedicated midrange is fantastic for music. Also, I appreciate the increased sensitivity. I do also run subs (2 Rythmik E15) with the Towers (2nd sub is a recent add, used 1 E15 w/ the S2's).

As to amp and phono prepro, what's your budget? Are you looking for another receiver recommendation or integrated amp or separate amp & prepro?

For the phono prepro, Musical Fidelity and Musical Surroundings make nice units (eg V90, Nova, Phonomena ), Manley Chinook are awesome phono prepros (this is what I run. You can watch usaudiomart.com and pick up a used one for around 1700 more or less). I've heard the Herron is also excellent. Some say a step up from the Chinook (it's also about 1500 more new than the Chinook).

What is your budget for all of this? I see your current phono preamp for around $300, so racrawford's recommendation at $1500-$1700 could be WAY over your budget for just a phono stage.

And he asks good questions regarding the amp/integrated/pre.

As for the Sierra's, I have Sierra-2EX's I upgraded from 2's around last Christmas. I love them in my music only system! If I had the funds I would definitely like to try the towers. There's something about a 3-way tower with dedicated mid driver that a 2-way stand mount will have a tough time matching. I am totally happy with the EX's, but if I had the towers side-by-side in a comparison that mid woofer of the towers would probably be the "it" factor in its favor.

Let us know those other details and we can try to give you accurate recommendations.
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 10-02-2020 at 04:37 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

When I visited Ascend last year, I got to A/B the RAAL Towers and the S2-EX. If you have the room size and the budget, the Towers are definitely the better speaker. While the S2-EX is a truly impressive speaker for the money and for their physical size (and I love mine), they are still 2-way bookshelves. The biggest difference between the 2EXs and the Towers is in the midrange—that dedicated midrange driver really does make a difference.

They are, however, basically double the price, so it's no small thing to make this upgrade.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    What is your budget for all of this? I see your current phono preamp for around $300, so racrawford's recommendation at $1500-$1700 could be WAY over your budget for just a phono stage.

And he asks good questions regarding the amp/integrated/pre.

As for the Sierra's, I have Sierra-2EX's I upgraded from 2's around last Christmas. I love them in my music only system! If I had the funds I would definitely like to try the towers. There's something about a 3-way tower with dedicated mid driver that a 2-way stand mount will have a tough time matching. I am totally happy with the EX's, but if I had the towers side-by-side in a comparison that mid woofer of the towers would probably be the "it" factor in its favor.

Let us know those other details and we can try to give you accurate recommendations.
    I want to go up a tier or two and I understand that comes with a price tag. I am open to hearing about what's out there and especially things that are great for the price. Punch above their price tag type items. Whatever it is, lay it on me.

Doesn't really narrow things down to much ;-)

My 2 cents:
    Start with the Towers with RAAL for L/R. It's the top of Ascend's line.

As to amp/phono prepro,
    Option 1: Rogue Chronus Magnum II or III - it's integrated and includes phono prepro. The II's can be found used on audiomart.com or audiogon.com.

Option 2: Rogue Magnum Atlas Magnum II + Rogue RP1 or RP5 preamp + Manley Chinook -- again, you can pick these up used. Rogue equipment is highly regarded, well rated, made in USA, and punch above their price tag. Note, this is tube options.

Option 3: Same Rogue pieces and Musical Surroundings Nova or Phenom. Also very good pieces. Tube amp/preamp/solid state phono

Option 4: Monolith amp (made by ATI) or Outlaw amp - solid state amp, you can use your Denon as a preamp if it has pre-outs to hook for the amp, Rogue RPx, Anthem AVP60 or MRXx20 as preamp, one of the phono preamps previously recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Doesn't really narrow things down to much ;-)

My 2 cents:
    Start with the Towers with RAAL for L/R. It's the top of Ascend's line.

As to amp/phono prepro,
    Option 1: Rogue Chronus Magnum II or III - it's integrated and includes phono prepro. The II's can be found used on audiomart.com or audiogon.com.

Option 2: Rogue Magnum Atlas Magnum II + Rogue RP1 or RP5 preamp + Manley Chinook -- again, you can pick these up used. Rogue equipment is highly regarded, well rated, made in USA, and punch above their price tag. Note, this is tube options.

Option 3: Same Rogue pieces and Musical Surroundings Nova or Phenom. Also very good pieces. Tube amp/preamp/solid state phono

Option 4: Monolith amp (made by ATI) or Outlaw amp - solid state amp, you can use your Denon as a preamp if it has pre-outs to hook for the amp, Rogue RPx, Anthem AVP60 or MRXx20 as preamp, one of the phono preamps previously recommended.
    What are your thoughts on the ATI AT6000 series?

Isn’t this the top of the line ati series? Should be fine but $$$. Not sure of the differences, but I’d probably not pay it as not sure i’d hear a difference. Would put the extra money elsewhere, like a phono stage or cartridge. I’d be happy with any ati amp - either branded or private label.

As to amps, you may also want to look at class D - either ati’s or d-sonic. I’ve heard the d-sonic and it is a fantastic amp. I think the pascal modules he uses are better than the hypex ones used by ati and others

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Isn’t this the top of the line ati series? Should be fine but $$$. Not sure of the differences, but I’d probably not pay it as not sure i’d hear a difference. Would put the extra money elsewhere, like a phono stage or cartridge. I’d be happy with any ati amp - either branded or private label.

As to amps, you may also want to look at class D - either ati’s or d-sonic. I’ve heard the d-sonic and it is a fantastic amp. I think the pascal modules he uses are better than the hypex ones used by ati and others
    It was just one of many recommendations I received by asking around. I will say, the most recommended product I've received thus far is the Rogue Chronus Magnum III.

Not surprised. Rogue gear is top notch. Customer support is also exceptional - just like VPI, Manley, and, of course, Ascend