Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving in one week - Two vastly rooms to choose in which to set up my Sierra 2EX.

Default Moving in one week - Two vastly rooms to choose in which to set up my Sierra 2EX.

Hello.

I am thoroughly enjoying my Sierra 2 EX speakers. They are powered by a fully restored Nikko Alpha II, 120 watts per channel, along with a fully restored Nikko Beta 20 pre amp. My sources are TV, CD and vinyl....two channel only....no sub needed!

So now I need to choose one of two rooms. I prefer the living room but it has a vaulted ceiling. The other room is the lower level multi purpose room which will have a sitting area, exercise equipment and my professional audio/PA system.

I guess my main question is related to vaulted ceilings in general since the room I prefer to set up my audio has one.

Does anyone have a similar set up or knowledge of a vaulted ceiling and how it impacts sound?

Here are a few pictures of the rooms. I would place the TV between the window and the speakers out into the room as far away from the corners as possible.

IMG_3289 2.jpg

Lower level room

IMG_3304 2.jpg
    Last edited by rifmon; 09-27-2020 at 05:16 AM.

Default Re: Moving in one week - Two vastly rooms to choose in which to set up my Sierra 2EX.

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post

/Users/walternapolitan/Desktop/IMG_3289.jpg
    /Users/walternapolitan/Desktop/IMG_3288.jpg

Lower level room

/Users/walternapolitan/Desktop/IMG_3304.jpg
    You could try uploading your photos again. I think the vaulted ceiling would be fine.
    Nate

Default Re: Moving in one week - Two vastly rooms to choose in which to set up my Sierra 2EX.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    You could try uploading your photos again. I think the vaulted ceiling would be fine.
    Yeah, needed to resize the pics. working on it now

Thanks!

There.... success!
    Last edited by rifmon; 09-27-2020 at 05:17 AM.

Would either room lend itself to putting sound treatment panels on the walls? I think that would make a bigger difference in the sound. Also having symmetrical side walls can be another factor to consider.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Would either room lend itself to putting sound treatment panels on the walls? I think that would make a bigger difference in the sound. Also having symmetrical side walls can be another factor to consider.
    Well symmetrical side walls disqualifies the room with the vaulted ceiling since one side is a kick wall for the stairs. But it does have a wall on the other side of the steps.

I can always add room treatments later. I’ll start with carpeting since right now there is none. Pergo flooring right now. The former owner took the carpet which I expected.

Vaulted ceilings are both a curse and a blessing.

On the "blessing" side there's no appreciable ceiling bounce, so things in general sound cleaner.

The curse is that there's no ceiling bounce, and bass sometimes feels like it gets sucked into the void. You might need to adjust the bass a little, or maybe even add a sub. Also, for those HT fans out there, vaulted ceilings mean have fun with Atmos...
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Vaulted ceilings are both a curse and a blessing.

On the "blessing" side there's no appreciable ceiling bounce, so things in general sound cleaner.

The curse is that there's no ceiling bounce, and bass sometimes feels like it gets sucked into the void. You might need to adjust the bass a little, or maybe even add a sub. Also, for those HT fans out there, vaulted ceilings mean have fun with Atmos...
    Thanks for your insight. So good news is no ceiling bounce. Good! For bass, I can always stuff them close into the corners! 😄. I guess I’ll know by mid week next week!

I forgot to mention, the highest ceiling extends to 12 ft vs 16 in some homes.

These SEX Sound REALLY IMPRESSIVE, I'm listening to ONE HERE... I luv it, it's smooth, with Love.. It's NOT BRIGHT...which I adore!

Well, I ended up with NOT the best positioning of my Sierra 2EX speakers by dictate of the room's size, shape and shared real estate with furnishings. BUT, .......I am thoroughly enjoying the sound! They are so forgiving with their horizontal imaging, I hardly notice the fact that I can only place them 6 feet apart from each other. I sit 9 feet away and wish I could've put them a couple more feet apart. But they image very well! They are only slightly toed in. And the bass is very present despite the vaulted ceiling. I could have paced them in the lower level room but I live upstairs, not down, so I am ok with my choice of rooms.

I'll post a photo later of their final resting place

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    Well, I ended up with NOT the best positioning of my Sierra 2EX speakers by dictate of the room's size, shape and shared real estate with furnishings. BUT, .......I am thoroughly enjoying the sound! They are so forgiving with their horizontal imaging, I hardly notice the fact that I can only place them 6 feet apart from each other.

Excellent! Yes - this is one of the advantages of having exceptionally wide horizontal dispersion. Glad you are enjoying them and happy holidays!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com