Thread: CBM-170 se center pictures?

Default CBM-170 se center pictures?

What do the CBM-170 SE center look like? Is it vertical or horizontal? Anyone have any pics? Dimensions possibly?
    Do these work well with CMT-340's? Would CBM-SE in this scenario be good for surrounds? Or HTM-200 SE be a better choice? Thanks for any help.

Default Re: CBM-170 se center pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    What do the CBM-170 SE center look like? Is it vertical or horizontal? Anyone have any pics? Dimensions possibly?
    I'm 99% positive it's just a CBM-170 SE sold as a single. Hopefully Dave or someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Do these work well with CMT-340's?
    Not as well as a 340 center, but it'll be a timbre-match so in that sense yes, it'll work. The 170 doesn't play as low and isn't quite as efficient as the 340, but if you're calibrating your HT properly and you have a sub it wouldn't be that big a deal.

Would CBM-SE in this scenario be good for surrounds?
    Err, which CBM? I guess it kind of doesn't matter, they'll all work just fine.

Or HTM-200 SE be a better choice?
    IMO, the HTM-200 is a better speaker than the 170 in pretty much every way but one, which is bass extension; the 170s play much lower. Otherwise the 200s are smaller, lighter, easier to place because they're sealed, and I think they even look better. So if you're running your HT with a good sub, then I'd get 200s for surround duty.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../spkrlist.html

click on link of each speaker for details...

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...70/cbm170.html

top left blue for all details
    Last edited by audiohead; 09-21-2020 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Do these work well with CMT-340's? Would CBM-SE in this scenario be good for surrounds? Or HTM-200 SE be a better choice? Thanks for any help.
    The 170SE center is identical in all aspects to left/right 170's. The only difference is that instead of it being pair packed, it is single paced (single speaker).

The absolute best choice of center with 340's as left/right is the 340 center. If it is too wide or isn't in the budget, next best choice is a single 170SE (center).

Please feel free to contact us directly if we can be of any additional assistance.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I’m trying to decide between the CBM-170 three across as my LCR or NHT SuperOnes. Both are bookshelf’s with 6.5” woofers and both with excellent reputations. I have three SuperZeros now, but want something I can cross over a little lower. If I had to guess, the CBM-170 uses better components, but I don’t know that for sure. Tough decision.

Quote Originally Posted by JonCr View Post
    I’m trying to decide between the CBM-170 three across as my LCR or NHT SuperOnes. Both are bookshelf’s with 6.5” woofers and both with excellent reputations. I have three SuperZeros now, but want something I can cross over a little lower. If I had to guess, the CBM-170 uses better components, but I don’t know that for sure. Tough decision.
    Definitely a tough decision, I have quite a bit of experience with the SuperOne. Both are nice speakers but appeal to different tastes. The 170's are quite a bit more dynamic, offering a fuller and punchier sound, due to being a ported speaker and using a lower mass woofer. The 170's also sound a bit more forward and more detailed, with the SuperOne sounding a bit more relaxed / laid back. I actually prefer the SuperZero to the SuperOne, and surprisingly - from about 200Hz and up - also find the SuperZero sounds more like our 170 than the SuperOne. (170 has much more bass and midbass)

170's can also play significantly louder without stress compared to the SuperOne.

It really comes down to what type of sound you are looking for, if you prefer a relaxed sound - more relaxed than your SuperZero - SuperOne is a good choice. If you are looking for a nice step up in midbass and dynamics (important for movies) - and also something a bit more detailed in upper mids and lower treble, give the 170's a try.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave, thanks! That was the most comprehensive comparison I’ve seen and was very helpful. Given that this application is largely HT, it sounds like CBM-170 may have the edge. Thanks again. Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonCr View Post
    Dave, thanks! That was the most comprehensive comparison I’ve seen and was very helpful. Given that this application is largely HT, it sounds like CBM-170 may have the edge. Thanks again. Jon
    Very welcome!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com