Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about new amp for my Sierra-2EXs

Default Re: Thinking about new amp for my Sierra-2EXs

Great info! Thank you for the heads up!

The Monoprice monolith branded amps are nice, made by ATI in California.

I power my system (2EX, Horizon) with a 7X.

Quote Originally Posted by Toofy View Post
    Thinking of buying Outlaw Audio M2200 blocks from their site to power my Sierra 2Ex's, does anyone have this setup that can comment? Is 200 WPC per 2ex overkill?
    Maybe it's just me but I have to say I kind of don't get the value proposition for the Outlaws. Unless you have a thing specifically for monoblocks, for the price of a single M2200 you can get an Emotiva A300 which is 150wpc with lower THD. That's the max continuous rated power for the 2-EX anyway, so it's like paying double for 50w that you can't really use anyway. I'm probably missing something...
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I have to say I kind of don't get the value proposition for the Outlaws. Unless you have a thing specifically for monoblocks, for the price of a single M2200 you can get an Emotiva A300 which is 150wpc with lower THD. That's the max continuous rated power for the 2-EX anyway, so it's like paying double for 50w that you can't really use anyway. I'm probably missing something...
    Typically the THD is quoted at full rated power. So even if the THD is shown lower in the Emotiva, the Outlaw pushing 75% of its max should come in substantially below the THD you see on the website and lower than the emotiva if both are putting out 150W.

The extra power reserve might be useful as reserve against possible clipping. Complete channel separation with the monoblocks - I don't see any crosstalk figures on the Emo site. Outlaw also runs specials on the 2200 on occasion. That said, Emo amps are pretty good (at least the older generations - not experience with Gen3 or the Bas-X series.

Quote Originally Posted by Telemars View Post
    Typically the THD is quoted at full rated power. So even if the THD is shown lower in the Emotiva, the Outlaw pushing 75% of its max should come in substantially below the THD you see on the website and lower than the emotiva if both are putting out 150W.
    Yes, I get that; that's why it's important that the Emotiva have a lower rated THD. <0.02% on the Emotiva, 0.05% on the Outlaw—more than double. So even at 75% on the Outlaw, the Emotiva is probably lower. The number are low enough that this is pretty much a hair-splitting exercise anyway as it's probably not audible off either amp if you're running at, say, 100w. (I doubt very many people are routinely dumping the full 150 into their 2-EXs.)

I'm not knocking the Outlaw; it's a good amp. I just don't see how spending 2x the money for it is a good value when the Emotiva is an option, that's all. As rcrawford notes, maybe it's about channel separation, but I've never been able to hear the difference between monoblocks and a well-designed two-channel, so again, for me, it wouldn't be worth the extra scratch.

Oh, wait, I see it now: XLRs. OK, if you have the XLR option, the Outlaw takes XLR in and the Emotiva doesn't. Makes perfect sense, carry on...
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

My setup is in my signature. The Outlaw M2200 was discontinued earlier this year and replaced with the 2220. I've not seen any feedback on the Outlaw 2220s, but it's a completely different design than the 2200 based on my research.

More here: https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...6#post-1391560

And here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-8#post-402220
    Last edited by John Galt; 10-01-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H