Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about new amp for my Sierra-2EXs

Default Thinking about new amp for my Sierra-2EXs

Hello everybody. First time poster.

I upgraded to Sierra-2 EXs earlier this year and love them. They are in a 2-channel audio system dedicated almost entirely to vinyl, paired with a Pro-Ject The Classic Turntable (w/Ortofon Bronze), a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS phono preamp, and a Marantz PM5005. An old blu-ray player does CD duties (but rarely). I don't need or want streaming.

The PM5005 may be the weak link in this chain. At a spec of 40WPC, it is slightly underpowered for the Sierra-2EXs. Marantz tends to rate the power on their amps conservatively, though. And I never push the volume that high -- I'm in a small room, about 8 feet by 12 -- and have never experienced any audible clipping.

Nevertheless, I'm getting the urge to see what an upgraded integrated amp might offer to this setup. I'm in the 1k range, in terms of budget. The Marantz PM8006, at 70WPC, seems like the natural upgrade (and I do like the Marantz sound). I'm curious also about a tube amp called the Muzishare X7, which is getting rave reviews from some people on the internet. At 45WPC it would meet the Sierra-2EX's requirements and give me a taste of the tube sound. (It's made in China but I have no problem with this, especially since the reception to this particular amp has been so positive across the board. I do wonder how tubes, and this amp in particular, would play with the 2-EX.) I've thought about Yamaha but the A-S1100 and above are too expensive for me. Should the more affordable A-S801 be in the conversation?

I am of course open to other suggestions. The Parasound 275v2 paired with their Zpre3 preamp looks good (I'd prefer integrated rather than two separates, though). I'd like to try a Class A or Class A/B amp in this range.

Suggestions on the above most welcome!! Thank you.
    Last edited by uniquepicture; 09-12-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Default Re: Thinking about new amp for my Sierra-2EXs

I've just recenlty bought Cambridge CXA81 to be paired with 2EX. The speakers are on the way, expected delivery on Tuesday. I'll let you know the results. Overall from the reviews CXA81 seems like a solid buy.

Quote Originally Posted by machnik View Post
    I've just recenlty bought Cambridge CXA81 to be paired with 2EX. The speakers are on the way, expected delivery on Tuesday. I'll let you know the results. Overall from the reviews CXA81 seems like a solid buy.
    Looks like a great unit. I’ll put it on my list. Looking forward to your review.

I run a Rogue Atlas Magnum II tube amp as power for my Sierra Towers with RAAL. Sounds fantastic. Keep an eye on usaudiomart...I've seen them going used around 1200 (a bit more than your budget). The integrated version (Cronus Magnum) can also be picked up second hand. Made in USA. Awesome customer support.

I own a set of Sierra 2EX speakers and love them!

I recently switched to a very decent HK 3490 to vintage gear. I bought a fully restored Nikko Alph II dual mono amplifier, 120 watts per channel, and a Nikko Betta 20 Pre Amp which has a MM and MC phono preamp and I'm very happy with it. I paid $800.00 so there are viable fully restored (I wouldn't want it any other way) vintage options out there .

While my focus is 2 channel stereo via CD and vinyl, I also use this for TV and movies by connected this amp pre amp to TV and movies by purchasing a Schiit Modi 3 DAC at $120.00 and then an MCM Custom Audio 50-8394 LINE Level Volume Control IR Remote to control volume from the couch (another must which without, would disqualify vintage from the household haha)

I considered Yamaha integrated amps as well as Cambridge but was drawn to pure simple vintage gear.... for some reason.
    Last edited by rifmon; 09-13-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: forgot something

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

I found a good deal on a used Marantz PM8006 so I snapped it up. Looking forward to pairing the 2EXs with a more powerful amp. If I don’t like the pairing I can probably sell this unit for about what I paid and try one of these other suggestions. But I’ve always liked the Marantz sound and this looks like a great amp for a vinyl system.

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    I recently switched to a very decent HK 3490 to vintage gear. I bought a fully restored Nikko Alph II dual mono amplifier, 120 watts per channel, and a Nikko Betta 20 Pre Amp which has a MM and MC phono preamp and I'm very happy with it. I paid $800.00 so there are viable fully restored (I wouldn't want it any other way) vintage options out there .
    In the early 70's, my Dad had a Nikko integrated amp. It was driving a pair of huge RTR speakers which had electrostatic tweeters and needed be plugged into a house electrical outlet. I have looked for pictures of the speakers online, and can find other RTR's with electrostatic tweeters, but not the ones my Dad had. He later upgraded the Nikko to a Technics integrated.
    -curtis

Thinking of buying Outlaw Audio M2200 blocks from their site to power my Sierra 2Ex's, does anyone have this setup that can comment? Is 200 WPC per 2ex overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by Toofy View Post
    Thinking of buying Outlaw Audio M2200 blocks from their site to power my Sierra 2Ex's, does anyone have this setup that can comment? Is 200 WPC per 2ex overkill?
    There are very nice amps and we have quite a few customers using them with Sierra-2EX.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Toofy View Post
    If you can wait a couple of months, they often get a pretty good discount for Black Friday. You probably need to get on the Outlaw mailing list, to get news about it though. I seem to remember them being somewhere between $100 to $200 off for the pair, from previous years.