Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sierra 2EX - do I need sub for music?

Default Re: Sierra 2EX - do I need sub for music?

For music I don’t think you need much. I had a Hsu STF-2 which was a 10” sub with 250W and that was perfectly fine with my Sierra 2’s for music. Now I have two 21” subs and let’s just say my Sierra’s give out way before the subs do. For music I think any 12” would be fine. Duals would be better to help smooth out the frequency response.
    Last edited by djDANNY; 09-06-2020 at 09:29 AM.

I highly recommend the Rythmik L12. It must be one of the best deals for a 12" sealed sub. If I had room I would get a second one in a heartbeat

One of the reasons I wanted the 2EX over just the regular 2 was in the hope that I could run without a sub. I play bass, so this is kind of a thing for me. Happy to report that, at least in my small room (about 10 x 11) that I don't feel the need for a sub.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

I didn't feel the need for a sub in my medium-sized office with treatment, but I definitely had to sit in a certain spot about 8 ft back to get the bass I wanted. I ended up moving them to my main living room/HT setup, and the bass was gone (open concept). I've got a PB-3000 and probably could have gone smaller, but always nice to have the extra impact. I've got it crossed at 100 hz and it sounds great.

once I upgraded to 2Ex I turned my sub volume so low it's barely on. I'd vote it's unnecessary.

How big is the dining area and kitchen? That would be space to fill, as well. How big is the area compared to your HT room? If similar size and you're happy with the LVX12, that may also be fine for your music room. As suggested above, may want to listen with new speakers alone for a few weeks, then move your current sub and listen. This will give you an idea of whether or not you feel the need for a sub and if one of similar size is sufficient for your listening habits, your space, and your ears.

I ran a single E15 in my listening room for years. My room is 16x12x~11 (tiered ceiling) and opens to the den on the left (~22x24x11) and dining room behind (identical to listening room). I was happy with the performance with music (and movies). I did recently add a second sub just because :-). I went with the E15 as I liked the size/weight (for placement / movement options) over bigger subs (F15 or larger).

FWIW, similar taste in music - mostly rock/metal and some jazz/classical.

Thank you all for the responses.

After a week of listening to new 2EX, I don't feel like I need more bass at this stage. However, a lot to do with it has speaker placement. I'll start fresh thread to describe my experience so far with positioning 2EX in the room.