Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX - do I need sub for music?

Default Sierra 2EX - do I need sub for music?

Greetings! I'm new to the forum, not new to Ascend though I own Sierra 1 as LCR, HTM-200 as sides, and LVX12 sub in my HT setup. Super happy.

I'm about to pull the trigger on Sierra 2EX to use in the other room for music listening only. Do I need a separate sub or the woofer in 2EX would do just fine for the music listening purposes?

Appreciate your help!

Default Re: Sierra 2EX - do I need sub for music?

You could always start with the 2EX only to see how it works/sounds to you in your room. Then add a sub later if needed.

FWIW, I use two E15's in my listening room (along with the Towers w/ RAAL). Same room for music and movies, but ~95% music.

As racrawford65 said, try the EX's full range and if you feel a sub is needed, add one (or 2) in the loop.

They play very low for a monitor type speaker, and have great dynamics and punch. As good as they are, there's only so much a single 6" woofer can do. I am used to having my 12" sealed Rythmik handle things below 80hz so when it's not playing, I miss it.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

It seems like the Sierra 2 EX’s extend pretty low, where you might be able to hear most frequencies many would want for music. The problem is that the room is a huge contributor to the quality of the bass that you hear. The best place for bass is usually not the bast place for imaging with the speakers. What typically happens is that you place the speakers where they image best and you can have huge variations in the bass, some frequencies up 10 or 20 dB and other frequencies down 10 or 20 dB. One subwoofer can make a big difference if freeing up that constraint. One subwoofer, together with EQ, can get you good bass in one seat, in a room, if you are patient to find a good location for the sub. If you want more than one good seat you need at least two subs to accomplish this. If it is just 2 or 3 seats along a couch, or in a straight line, then 2 subs should work well.

I don’t know the size of your room, or seating distance. If you are looking specifically at the Sierra 2EX for the bass response, perhaps you can step down in size to Lunas or a b-stock Sierra 2 to free up money in your budget for a subwoofer. Or wait until a little later to save up for a subwoofer. The Sierra 2EX is an excellent speaker, but I suggest plans for a subwoofer, at some point in the near future.
    Last edited by N Boros; 09-03-2020 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by machnik View Post
    Greetings! I'm new to the forum, not new to Ascend though I own Sierra 1 as LCR, HTM-200 as sides, and LVX12 sub in my HT setup. Super happy.

I'm about to pull the trigger on Sierra 2EX to use in the other room for music listening only. Do I need a separate sub or the woofer in 2EX would do just fine for the music listening purposes?

Appreciate your help!
    Welcome to our forum!

I would say about 1/2 of our Sierra-2EX customers that are using them strictly for music are going without subs. The Sierra-2EX has remarkable bass for a bookshelf speaker, but there are many variables involved with regard to whether or not you would be prefer to use them with a subwoofer.

It really comes down to your own personal taste. For my tastes, I prefer them without a sub for music listening.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Appreciate your help.

I’ve just pulled the trigger on 2EX. I like natural sounding music, initially I’ll run those without a sub. However, I’d like understand better what variables matter to pair the sub with those speakers. Can you please guide me in the right direction? Which of the Rythmik subs sounds most musical?

One more aspect to add - I mostly enjoy any types of rock (Rush, The Clash, and Metallica on the other side of the spectrum) and songwriters like Cohen and Nick Cave. I don’t really like pop, disco or club music - I think bass matters more there, but I may be wrong...

Thanks again!

Appreciate your help.

I’ve just pulled the trigger on 2EX. I like natural sounding music, initially I’ll run those without a sub. However, I’d like understand better what variables matter to pair the sub with those speakers. Can you please guide me in the right direction? Which of the Rythmik subs sounds most musical?
    Typically a subwoofer will be chosen based on the size of the entire space you are dealing with. If the room enclosed and small, around 2000 cubic feet or less, then just about any Rythmik sub will work just fine for music. In this case, you can decide based on form factor if you like, or simply get a sealed sub, since it will provide a slight bit better transient response (how quickly the driver can start and stop), which can provide more detail. If you are in a room with an open floor plan, where the room and everything else that it is opened to, together, can be 10,000 cubic feet, then things are a little trickier. You would likely want to lean more towards a larger ported sub, in this case, if you are worried about keeping the budget down. Rythmik does have a high output sealed subs, but they cost more money than ported subs that cost less. This is true regardless of the manufacturer.

The good news is that you have a Rythmik sub in another room. I suggest listening to music with the new speakers without a subwoofer for a few weeks, then move the subwoofer into the same room and listen for a few weeks and see what you like better. If you prefer the subwoofer, then you can choose a subwoofer based on the size of your room. Many have said that even ported Rythmik subs are great for music, so I doubt you would be disappointed. Rythmik subs have two or three damping settings where you can dial in the transient response to your taste.

One more aspect to add - I mostly enjoy any types of rock (Rush, The Clash, and Metallica on the other side of the spectrum) and songwriters like Cohen and Nick Cave. I don’t really like pop, disco or club music - I think bass matters more there, but I may be wrong...

Thanks again!
    Bass is very important in rock, IMO, particularly in a 3-piece band like Rush and heavier rock bands like Metallica and Sabbath.

I also like N Boros' suggestion to listen for a few weeks w/o the sub, then move your current Rythmik into the music set up and listen some more. Try the different dampings (Rythmik usually recommends High for music). If you like music better with the sub, you can always add the Rythmik best for your room size.

This makes a lot is sense, folks! That’s what I’ll do.

The room itself is far from perfect, it’s a family room ca 18x12 ft with 7 ft opening opening to the dining area and kitchen in the right upper corner of the room.

How much of a sub would I theoretically need?