Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blocked Speaker Tower - Major WAF

Default Blocked Speaker Tower - Major WAF

I am trying to negotiate with the boss to replace my existing 5.1 setup but my efforts are hitting some (err several) roadblocks. Major WAF in play here. She is OK with an upgrade but thinks the existing setup is an eye sore and it will be worse with bigger speakers. My original hope was to replace L/R with HTM-200SE (on existing stands) and the center with horizontal CMT-340SE. The boss is now looking into ways to 'hide' the speakers including putting the speakers in the corner and putting the sub in a box/container (e.g. https://ikeahackers.net/2006/09/this...subwoofer.html) NOTE: I am open for ideas. The room is 14.33'X X 21'L and one side is completely open to the kitchen. The shelf for the center channel would replace the existing center speaker in the picture. The opening is 6.25"H X 20.86"W X 13.5"D but the internal dimensions extend to 7.5"H X 22.44"W. I could take another 1.5" or so by moving the shelf down and putting a cooling fan such as Infinity AIRCOM S7.

She seems to be OK with mini towers in the corner with an arbitrary height of 36" because it would be hidden by furniture (chairs/ottoman). I realize this is not optimal or even good, but it is hard to argue with 'but sound bounces' rationale. I think I have 3 options:

1) Mini Towers in corner
    2) Find a way to 'hide' the towers to move it away from the corner -- Not sure how that would work/look
    3) Find a 'better' similar size satelite speaker (HTM-200SE would be ~3" larger but that seems to be a problem)

https://imgur.com/AgPT7nu

https://imgur.com/Pm9W7kJ

https://imgur.com/ZS1g9Sw

Default Re: Blocked Speaker Tower - Major WAF

Glad I don't have that problem.

Another room in your house that you could set up as your man cave although from your pics that looks like a "separate" room - although you say one side is open to the kitchen?

From your options above, I'd probably go with 1). Alternately, have further discussions to try and convince her. Perhaps with bigger (and nicer looking speakers) she might be more flexible.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Glad I don't have that problem.

Another room in your house that you could set up as your man cave although from your pics that looks like a "separate" room - although you say one side is open to the kitchen?

From your options above, I'd probably go with 1). Alternately, have further discussions to try and convince her. Perhaps with bigger (and nicer looking speakers) she might be more flexible.
    I had a dedicated man cave in my old house and NO ONE used it. I am debating renovating my current one but my young daughters would just trash it and my wife thinks it is cold and dungeon like. After a full reno, she might change her mind. That would be a much easier convo to have.

Most speakers are some kind of black rectangle. I supposed there are 'designer' ones but that seems to be more design over function. Yes, I realize this is not good but is there a way to quantify it? L/R isn't the center. How much am I losing? And, how much would I lose if I went with the bigger towers in the corner vs. current state. If they offset, the corners give me more flexibility.

Check out my thread here for some potential ideas: https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sh...mpromised-room

It's not ideal, but I've been very happy with where I ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeke42 View Post
    Check out my thread here for some potential ideas: https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sh...mpromised-room

It's not ideal, but I've been very happy with where I ended up.
    This is very encouraging. If I understand the dimensions, the speakers are horizontal with a max of 28" in a wood cabinet with a slotted front. And, you are happy. The papasan chair on the left side sits back far enough that I think I will have a clear line of sight to the top tweeter of a 36" or so of a small / mid tower. Is that the only concern? High frequency tweeter? The mid/The chair on the left is much more of an issue as it is angled towards the corner which WILL cover up the speaker. I know it's all subjective and there probably isn't a real answer but given the WAF problem and limited choices, how much 'loss' am I taking by going this route? It is my hope that a 3-way in the corner with blockage is better than an unblocked 4" satelite.

I hope Dave chimes in.

Quote Originally Posted by sagosto View Post
    I hope Dave chimes in.
    You could always call Dave & Dina and discuss your situation and get their recommendation.
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

IMO unblocked bookshelves would be better than blocked towers. Could you go as large as the Sierras for L/C/R? If you can, I'd definitely go S1V2 or LX depending on budget.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    You could always call Dave & Dina and discuss your situation and get their recommendation.
    I sent 2 emails. I don't wanna annoy him.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeke42 View Post
    IMO unblocked bookshelves would be better than blocked towers. Could you go as large as the Sierras for L/C/R? If you can, I'd definitely go S1V2 or LX depending on budget.
    HTM-200 are giving me pushback. The tower was 'OK' as long as it's in corner and nearly hidden. I also need to figure out what box to cover the sub.

As to the sub, would she accept it as an end table next to the sofa, assuming there is room?

Back to the LR, the cabinetry/finish on the Sierra line is really very nice. Maybe she'd be more accepting of those to offer you some placement flexibility?

Quote Originally Posted by sagosto View Post
    The tower was 'OK' as long as it's in corner and nearly hidden.
    First...putting a speaker in a corner is generally not a good idea sound wise, but we all have compromises we have to work with.

At a minimum think of "line of sight" when locating speakers. Sound is even more important as it radiates around the speaker. Think if of it as light radiating from a lamp. I hope that makes sense.
    -curtis