Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp recommendation for the 2EX + Horizon LCR combo

Default Amp recommendation for the 2EX + Horizon LCR combo

So I just purchased the 2EX + Horizon LCR combo and are waiting for them to arrive. I was thinking at some point down the road, I might want to get an amp to power them and offload that work from my Denon x3400h receiver. Looking at the specs of the 2EX vs Horizon, I see that the 2EX's a are not very sensitive but reach maximum continuous power at 150 watts. The Horizon, on the other hand is fairly sensitive but can take 300 watts before it reaches its maximum. Looking at these numbers makes me think I might need some sort of multi-channel amp solution where I can feed 2 channels to the LR and maybe bridge a couple for the C? What do you guys think? I probably will never have it that loud anyway but nice to have it there if needed. :-)

Oh, I should also mention that I'd rather not spend much more than $1000 but might be more flexible for a great solution.

Default Re: Amp recommendation for the 2EX + Horizon LCR combo

Open to used?

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    Open to used?
    Sure, why not.

As the Horizon is more sensitive, less power needed to reach same "loudness" as the Sierras. How far are you sitting from your speakers? If relatively close (say within 10 feet), you should be ok with anything around 100 wpc minimum, particularly if you don't listen very loud in general.

Maybe look at the Monoprice Monolith 3 channel (it's made by ATI) or the Outlaw 5000 for class ab amp.

Another option might be a class D amp - check out D-Sonic, VTV, or Nord. Note, though, Dave has recommended class ab over class d for Ribbon tweeters (as I recall, due to switching noise - even though beyond hearing threshold - could be fatiguing for some). I believe D-Sonic and VTV have trial periods so you could also see if classD bothers you. Nord may, as well, but they are UK based so shipping back could get expensive. I'm considering one of these for my ATMOS speakers (but these are HTM200's) to replace my UPA7, mainly for a smaller, lighter amp. If I do, my UPA7 will be up for sale.

I power my EX’s, Horizon, and surrounds with a Monolith 7X. Great quality amp and plenty of power for my seating distance and listening levels.

As racrawford65 points out, the Horizon is more efficient, so bridging for it isnot needed to balance with the S2-EXs. If you wanted to boost power to the L&R for peaks, (not continuous) you could bridge for those, meaning you could use a 5 channel amp: 2 for L, one for C, and 2 for R. It depends on the clean peak power you want and the power of individual amp channels.
    Last edited by jimb; 08-21-2020 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    As the Horizon is more sensitive, less power needed to reach same "loudness" as the Sierras. How far are you sitting from your speakers? If relatively close (say within 10 feet), you should be ok with anything around 100 wpc minimum, particularly if you don't listen very loud in general.

Maybe look at the Monoprice Monolith 3 channel (it's made by ATI) or the Outlaw 5000 for class ab amp.

Another option might be a class D amp - check out D-Sonic, VTV, or Nord. Note, though, Dave has recommended class ab over class d for Ribbon tweeters (as I recall, due to switching noise - even though beyond hearing threshold - could be fatiguing for some). I believe D-Sonic and VTV have trial periods so you could also see if classD bothers you. Nord may, as well, but they are UK based so shipping back could get expensive. I'm considering one of these for my ATMOS speakers (but these are HTM200's) to replace my UPA7, mainly for a smaller, lighter amp. If I do, my UPA7 will be up for sale.
    That’s good to know about the class D noise with ribbons. I was looking at the Outlaw 5000 thinking that I could bi-amp the LR with 4 channels and run the C with the 5th. The AVR would handle the rears. Also, since it appears that total output is limited by the LRs anyway, it makes sense to buy an amp with their power limitations in mind, in this case, ~150 wpc which what the Outlaw is. Your comments is making me lean even more in that direction.

I am 14 ft away in a 22 x 34 ft room btw.
    Last edited by The Dark Knight; 08-21-2020 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    As racrawford65 points out, the Horizon is more efficient, so bridging for it isnot needed to balance with the S2-EXs. If you wanted to boost power to the L&R for peaks, (not continuous) you could bridge for those, meaning you could use a 5 channel amp: 2 for L, one for C, and 2 for R. It depends on the clean peak power you want and the power of individual map channels.
    Do you know of a bridgeable 5 channel amp under $1000?

Seriously, you would be fine with the 5 channel Outlaw 5000X. Although it is "only" rated at 120 watts/channel @ 8ohms, that is full bandwidth (20 hz-20 khz) with ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN. Receivers do not typically rate their power with all channels driven, which is normally much less than the 2 channel listed spec. I owned Outlaw's original AV receiver, the model 1050. It replaced a well known brand name AVR at the time. The Outlaw 1050 was rated at a modest 65 watts/channel, but into 3 channels driven rather than 2 as was the AVR it replaced. And, the outgoing AVR was rated at 110 watts/channel for the front 3. The Outlaw was much more powerful sounding with amazing punch on dynamic movie effects.

I have no doubt the 5000X will more than sufficient.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    That’s good to know about the class D noise with ribbons. I was looking at the Outlaw 5000 thinking that I could bi-amp the LR with 4 channels and run the C with the 5th. The AVR would handle the rears. Also, since it appears that total output is limited by the LRs anyway, it makes sense to buy an amp with their power limitations in mind, in this case, ~150 wpc which what the Outlaw is. Your comments is making me lean even more in that direction.

I am 14 ft away in a 22 x 34 ft room btw.
    I just realized that you can't bi-amp the 2EXs. Lol
    No biggie. It probably doesn't make much of a difference anyway.