Thread: AVR+Chromecast without TV

Default AVR+Chromecast without TV

I'm thinking of the following setup. I will know for sure when I try but don't want to be disappointed. Hence wanted to tap into the collective wisdom here. Will the following setup work?

Plugin Chromecast into HDMI of the AVR which will be hooked up with speakers. No other inputs are connected on the AVR nor will be a TV. Will I be able to cast audio from Spotify or Tidal to AVR to be played out from speakers? Will this setup work?

Since there is no TV/video-out from AVR, will that be a problem?

Thanks much in advance.

Default Re: AVR+Chromecast without TV

i wouldn't see why not? My Chromecast is in my AVR and i mirror or cast from my phone. Tv don't have to be on.
    just set your AVR HDMI input and speaker setting to stereo, Dolby may be input default?

Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
    I'm thinking of the following setup. I will know for sure when I try but don't want to be disappointed. Hence wanted to tap into the collective wisdom here. Will the following setup work?

Plugin Chromecast into HDMI of the AVR which will be hooked up with speakers. No other inputs are connected on the AVR nor will be a TV. Will I be able to cast audio from Spotify or Tidal to AVR to be played out from speakers? Will this setup work?

Since there is no TV/video-out from AVR, will that be a problem?

Thanks much in advance.
    Can you temporarily hook a tv up to the AVR? I think the Chromecast setup requires numbers from the monitor. I could be wrong. But after the initial setup, you wouldn't need a monitor connected
    Nate

If you don't already have the Chromecast, it might be easier just to find a used Chromecast Audio. I use one in an inexpensive office/bedroom setup as a Roon endpoint. It works great.
    Last edited by curtis; 08-07-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    -curtis

If you’re buying the whole setup a lot of AVR’s let you stream music from them directly without the need of an external device like a chromecast

Thank you for the responses. My AVR is an old one which doesn't support any streaming. I am sure the newer ones probably offer some streaming capabilities.

Great point about hooking up TV during the initial chromecast setup. I did not think of that one. I have a TV that I can use for the setup. If I can do it using phone and Google Home app, that would be even better. I don't remember the setup details but TV as work-around during setup is good enough for me.

Chromecast Audio seems to demand some premium on used sites and goes for more than regular Chromecast.

I think the setup code on Chromecasts are permanent. My particular Chromecast has had the same alphanumeric 4-digit code since I purchased it a few years ago, so you could set it up on some random TV, write down the code, and then bring it down to your receiver and set it up 'blind'.