Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onkyo TX-NR 646 clipping?

Default Onkyo TX-NR 646 clipping?

what volume number could this sucker clip at with some heavy tool from say Pandura signal? 100WPC
    I would love to bump to Anthem next but for now it will be getting a center DUO next, by fall is the plan.
    this will help me pick an Anthem power level i think?

i have my max volume setting at 65 ,40 is kinda quiet and normal listening without the AC running! 50-55 for home theater when it is and stereo with music optimizer on and microphone set up i think the right way. never been past that. don't even know what it maxes at for sure, i thought a saw somewhere at 80? but it is just a number and i realize that.

wired ethernet from router to stereo and tv. HDMI to tv from monitor out not ARC crap i don't understand yet!

make sense? feel free to ask questions and straighten my old school out and up to date.

Default Re: Onkyo TX-NR 646 clipping?

do you have an sound pressure meter (even a phone app one).
    I'd measure at your typical volume settings.
    Not sure how the volume scale on the Onkyo runs. Sounds like 0 to xx, where 0 is no volume (so possibly an absolute scale).

Anthem MRX has a relative scale. Runs from +10 to -90 I think. I'm typically around -30 or -35 for music and its reasonably loud. Running a 100WPC Atlas Magnum for my fronts. If you are planning to use onboard amps of the Anthem, the 1120 and 720 are same wpc (140 for channels 1-5, 60 - i think - for the additional) 1120 = 11 amplifier channels, 720 = 7. The 520 is 100 wpc., These are at 8 ohms and 2 channel driven. If you want/need/will want Dolby Atmos, need to go with either the 1120 or 720. If only 5.1 or less, 520 should be fine for your listening habits described above. Can always add an outboard amp.

I am going to add one confusing fact, amplifier WPC ratings on receivers tend to be overstated...sometimes by a huge amount. There are no real regulations in place on how and manufacturer can state output, and some are more honest than others.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-28-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    -curtis

I wouldn't use this as the gold standard, and keep in mind it assumes 8 ohm speakers (I subtract 3 dB sensitivity for 4 ohm speakers), but it can give you a rough idea of the power required to hit desired spl at your seat. Just fill in the boxes and click calculate.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
    Last edited by Pogre; 07-28-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Curtis is absolutely spot-on in his comment about manufacturers stretching the truth, some much more so than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    I wouldn't use this as the gold standard, and keep in mind it assumes 8 ohm speakers (I subtract 3 dB sensitivity for 4 ohm speakers), but it can give you a rough idea of the power required to hit desired spl at your seat. Just fill in the boxes and click calculate.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
    nice calculator... I can do roughly 110 db but don't think I'll try...at least until next time Ace of Spades is on the TT.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Curtis is absolutely spot-on in his comment about manufacturers stretching the truth, some much more so than others.
    Yes, unfortunately there isn't much of a standard and another trend lately seems to be burying useful specs by including a bunch of useless specs for 1 channel driven, 6 ohm, with 1 kHz, etc. To me the 2 channel driven at full bandwidth spec is what matters most, but finding it can be a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    nice calculator... I can do roughly 110 db but don't think I'll try...at least until next time Ace of Spades is on the TT.
    I wouldn't count on hitting 110 dB or try to tho!

That's just gonna give you a rough estimate. It's not a perfect calculator as it doesn't allow for different impedances and uses 1 watt/meter instead of 2.83 V. Like I said, I cheat it a little by subtracting 3 dB from sensitivity for 4 ohm speakers. I usually click "away from walls" too, just to be safe.

not planning on it..just kidding. I value what's left of my hearing

An amplifier's job is to multiply the signal provided to it by the gain factor set by the volume control. You simply cannot say that one setting will yield no clipping and another will. The amplifier will *try* to amplify the input signal, no matter what it is, within some established range. An amplifier will clip based on the current drawn and the voltage limits at the power supply. The current drawn will depend on the load (speaker) Every speaker is different and will present a different load. You just have to listen for clipping, and back off for some headroom. That said, Pandora will be fairly compressed source.
    Last edited by Qman; 07-29-2020 at 04:57 AM.