Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2 tweeter damage...

Default Re: Sierra 2 tweeter damage...

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the RAAL tweeters. The problem here has nothing to do with what kind of tweeter it is.

If your amp clips, you'll blow the tweeter regardless of whether it's a dome or a ribbon.
    This! ^^
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by audiohead View Post
    I don't think these tweeters need a bad reputation!

I love mine, i have the stereo on all the time now and absolutely love the sound from the towers!

i still am using my Boston Acoustics center and can tell a HUGE difference when the Movies come on! , they sucks compared to the towers.
    I agree! They are the best tweeters I've heard, and I've been through a lot of speakers. The Sierra ribbon towers are pretty handily my favorite speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the RAAL tweeters. The problem here has nothing to do with what kind of tweeter it is.

If your amp clips, you'll blow the tweeter regardless of whether it's a dome or a ribbon.
    Yes, absolutely. It does not matter what form factor it is, if an amp is driven beyond its capabilities it will clip and fry any tweeter. I've been trying to say that in a few posts now.

Tho I still think something was poked at that tweeter. I can't imagine how a tear would make pinholes like that.
    Last edited by Pogre; 07-27-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Agree with Sunbyrne and others --nothing wrong with the Tower RAAL tweeters. Love mine and can get loud enough for me.

As stated previously by others (and myself like the 2nd post of this thread) - those tweeters in your speakers are torn because an amp clipped. You'll not have any issues with the Towers as long as your amp has enough clean power (the "balls" :-) ) to drive them to levels you want. The speakers are rated at 300 watts continuous and 500 watts peak - so at 10' and 3 db amp headroom, that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 db at 300 watts continuous and 106 db peak (if my calculator is right). This is getting close to rock concert levels (around 120 db, unless of course it was Motorhead). 100 db continuous could cause hearing loss in like 15-20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    So my friend bought a pair of Sierra 2 off of the internet but the tweeters aren't working. So can we buy new tweeters from Ascend to replace. There seems to be some tears in the tweeters. Not sure what could have caused this.
    I am sorry to see this. I already sent you a reply email earlier today, but yes - you can easily purchase replacement tweeters from us. Purchasing used speakers is always a risk - but from what you already mentioned, your friend was made aware he was purchasing the speakers with damaged tweeters.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Yes Dave I just sent you an e-mail back. My friend ordered the new tweeters from you guys yesterday afternoon. They weren't as expensive as we anticipated so all is well. We didn't realize the Sierra 2 went through some changes and has different tweeters. It's an earlier model Sierra 2. Can't wait to do the 2EX upgrade some day. These speakers are definitely worth it.

Glad all is working out.

Yes Dave I just sent you an e-mail back. My friend ordered the new tweeters from you guys yesterday afternoon. They weren't as expensive as we anticipated so all is well. We didn't realize the Sierra 2 went through some changes and has different tweeters. It's an earlier model Sierra 2. Can't wait to do the 2EX upgrade some day. These speakers are definitely worth it.
    Different tweeters between early and later S2's? Ruh-Roh Shaggy! Please clarify what differences there are?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Different tweeters between early and later S2's? Ruh-Roh Shaggy! Please clarify what differences there are?
    The lady at Ascend took down the serial number and it was what she told us. I don't know anything else after that. Not really worried about it.

The lady at Ascend took down the serial number and it was what she told us. I don't know anything else after that. Not really worried about it.
    Interesting. Dina asked for my S/N's when I ordered the EX kits but never mentioned anything about the tweeter going through any revisions. Not a big deal, this happens often in manufacturing due to supplier issues, etc. I'm sure the change, whatever it is, had nothing to do with the original tweeter being deficient in any way. As a designer I am simply curious as to what actually changed and what the root cause for it was. I've been working on a development project going over 3 years now and have seen a LOT of changes/revisions.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Dina = The lady at Ascend
    We should call her that now.
    -curtis