Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2 tweeter damage...

Default Re: Sierra 2 tweeter damage...

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Looks like Curtis is a faster typist :-)
    I've had my morning coffee.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    RAAL tweeters won't work perfectly if torn...they won't work at all...no way to vibrate to create sound. You could try talking with seller since he was not 100% upfront (he did say about the tear). Depending on how paid, you may have recourse.

If you get the S1 to S2EX upgrade, you get everything needed -- woofer, tweeter, crossover.
    If you get the S2 to S2EX kit, you get everything needed - woofer, crossover. No tweeter as S2 and S2EX have same.
    So, if you want to upgrade to the EX, that would be the way I'd go. If you just want to replace the tweeters, you'll need to call Ascend. I'm pretty sure they'll sell you one. I blew one on my S2's awhile ago and was able to get a tweeter.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merch..._Code=UPGRADES
    Man, the tweet in that pic... it looks like someone flat out poked some holes in it! I almost had to sniffle a tear back. Is that what they look like when driven into clipping? I've never seen a torn RAAL before.

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    The seller said in the description about the tweeter having a tear. Even had a pic of it like the one I just posted here that we took but said it worked perfectly. So I don't know He got a great deal on them. Otherwise they are in mint condition. Really excited about getting these speakers so it was a little let down. Sounds like they were blown by an underpowered receiver trying to crank. So you saying I have to get the Sierra 1 to 2 upgrade to get the tweeter? Can we order just the tweeter and perhaps the 2EX upgrade?
    Yeah. I think op might have a leg to stand on here. There's no way it's going to "work perfectly" with such a bad tear in it. I hope the buyer has some way to dispute this purchase or got one hell of a discount for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Eek! "Appears to be torn" is an understatement! My stomach sank for you when I saw the title.

Give them a call. Things are a little upside down over there right now and Dina has been a little slow getting back to me, but was absolutely willing to work with me and I'm sure you guys can get a resolution figured out. Too bad the EX kits don't include a tweeter too. You could not only fix, but upgrade them too.

Just brace yourself. Those tweeters ain't cheap! This is a positive case of you get what you pay for tho. Best sounding tweeters I've heard.
    Thats what sucks. The money spent on replacing the tweeters could have been spent for the EX upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Man, the tweet in that pic... it looks like someone flat out poked some holes in it! I almost had to sniffle a tear back. Is that what they look like when driven into clipping? I've never seen a torn RAAL before.
    I was thinking the same thing and had the same question.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I was thinking the same thing and had the same question.
    Yeah. I'm seeing what look like pinholes, not tears in that ribbon. Whatever happened to those the perpetrator knows good and well what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    Thats what sucks. The money spent on replacing the tweeters could have been spent for the EX upgrade.
    Is the protective screen in the slot nice and tight still or is it loose or warped in any way? That would indicate the magnet might have grabbed onto something metal and pulled it into the ribbon element. Those magnets are extremely powerful. I know. I tried to measure my towers from the front with a tape measure and it sucked the tape right into the screen. I 'bout shit myself...

That's both speakers with the tweeters damaged not just one! We only took a pic of the one. Yeah, it's only speculation as to how they got that way. Like I said the rest of the speakers are in mint condition.

My guess is amplifier clipping.

Looks almost like the one I blew due to amplifier clipping. Pic attached
    Attached Images Attached Images