Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Sierra 2 tweeter damage...

Default Re: Sierra 2 tweeter damage...

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Yeah, the hair dryer sounds like a bad idea
    Yeah, not something I'm gonna try to test my hypothesis, lol.

Does anyone know if the plate the screen is attached to comes off without having to remove the whole tweeter? The reason I have so many speakers is because I find them dirt cheap and often in need of new drivers, grilles, cleanup, etc on CL. I make sure I can source oem parts before buying then fix 'em up again for resale.

I'm not really making any money doing it but I'm getting to listen to lots of different speakers from different companies on my own setup in my room. It's more a labor of love because I really enjoy this hobby and love speakers. Problem is, when I get them fixed up I end up wanting to keep them! So now I have a room full of working speakers I don't often listen to, lol. I really need to get some of them listed...

Anyhoo, I'm comfortable taking speakers apart and putting them back together. The RAAL tweeters however, are a whole different animal and right now I'm half afraid if I so much as give them a dirty look I'm going to find out that they're also super sensitive and get their feelings hurt easily...

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    I was measuring the height of my speaker when it happened. The tape wasn't even touching the towers and the magnet sucked it right into the screen. In retrospect measuring from the front without the grilles on was not the best decision, obviously. I've owned many speakers. I currently have 9 pairs of speakers in my house now, have done lots of measuring and have never once run into this.

A testament to just how powerful the motor is in those tweeters, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's not common for something like this to happen with most other speakers. We can joke about a new Pogre sticker, but based on some of the replies it might not be a bad idea to at least include a warning in the paperwork or something. Clearly, I'm not the only one who's had this happen.

There's no change in sq or performance, but the screen protecting that tweeter is warped now and it drives me crazy. I was wondering if I use a hair dryer on it if it might tighten back up, but at this point I already feel like I'm doing everything wrong and knowing my luck I'd end up melting the ribbon...
    Ahh....got it!

I have seen how "stuck" the protective tweeter cover (they one used for shipping)...so you know how strong that magnet is.

I wouldn't even attempt to straighten the screen if there is no performance issue.
    -curtis

Yeah, not something I'm gonna try to test my hypothesis, lol.
    Please do not attempt to use a hair dryer on the tweeter. This will certainly damage the diaphragm while having no effect on the protective screen.

Does anyone know if the plate the screen is attached to comes off without having to remove the whole tweeter?
    That screen can be repositioned but it requires completely removing the faceplate from the tweeter assembly, and that can only be done by fully removing the tweeter from the cabinet.

Removing that faceplate is risky, one slip and you will damage the diaphragm and if you have any metal nearby or drop a screw, it will pull it right into the diaphragm instantly tearing it. Honestly, I recommend you leave it alone - if it bugs to you too much, send the complete tweeter back to us and we can do it for you.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Please do not attempt to use a hair dryer on the tweeter. This will certainly damage the diaphragm while having no effect on the protective screen.

That screen can be repositioned but it requires completely removing the faceplate from the tweeter assembly, and that can only be done by fully removing the tweeter from the cabinet.

Removing that faceplate is risky, one slip and you will damage the diaphragm and if you have any metal nearby or drop a screw, it will pull it right into the diaphragm instantly tearing it. Honestly, I recommend you leave it alone - if it bugs to you too much, send the complete tweeter back to us and we can do it for you.
    Gotcha. I'm not going to attempt anything. The hair dryer idea was dismissed in my head the second after it popped in there. I'm not confident enough in my skills to do anything too invasive. That includes hair dryers and disassembling the tweeter to get to the backside of the faceplate.

Appreciate the reply Dave, that's why I made the post. I figured you'd jump on me if it's a bad idea. I wouldn't do anything without your blessing and/or very detailed instructions. If it keeps bothering me I'll contact you guys and send it in.

Hey guys, just wanted to report. So we replaced the damaged tweeters with the new tweeters that we got from Ascend and all I can say is WOW!! If the 2's sound this good it's scary how the 2EX must sound. Impressed wouldn't describe it. Hats off to Ascend for making one of the finest speakers, if not the finest, in the world. I love how they look to. Definitely keeping the grilles off.
    Last edited by MDinno; 08-10-2020 at 07:46 AM.

Glad all worked out for you. Perhaps time for another upgrade ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to report. So we replaced the damaged tweeters that we got from Ascend and all I can say is WOW!! If the 2's sound this good it's scary how the 2EX must sound. Impressed wouldn't describe it. Hats off to Ascend for making one of the finest speakers, if not the finest, in the world. I love how they look to. Definitely keeping the grilles off.
    I would guess a little more bass extension would be the main difference between the 2s and EX upgrade. I was considering that route also and ended up getting towers. Big room, like it loud sometimes. I need the additional sensitivity and power handling.

I would guess a little more bass extension would be the main difference between the 2s and EX upgrade. I was considering that route also and ended up getting towers. Big room, like it loud sometimes. I need the additional sensitivity and power handling.
    The bass is, indeed, deeper, but that's not the biggest difference. I had a friend bring his Sierra-2's over to do a comparison as he was trying to decide whether it would be worth it for him to upgrade to the EX's.

The bass was noticeably deeper with better slam, but he was more taken with the improved midrange weight and detail, as well as the better integration and clarity of the RAAL, especially at higher volumes that would cause you to lower the volume with the 2's. Even with them crossed at 80hz to my sealed Rythmik sub you can hear the improvements.

The EX upgrade is not inexpensive going from the standard S2's, but I can't think of a better bang for the buck upgrade.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to report. So we replaced the damaged tweeters with the new tweeters that we got from Ascend and all I can say is WOW!! If the 2's sound this good it's scary how the 2EX must sound. Impressed wouldn't describe it. Hats off to Ascend for making one of the finest speakers, if not the finest, in the world. I love how they look to. Definitely keeping the grilles off.
    Great news and I am happy that you are enjoying the speakers!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com