Thread: Sierra 1 NRT upgrade vs supertweeter

Default Sierra 1 NRT upgrade vs supertweeter

Hi all,

I have had my Sierrra 1's for a couple of months and am really enjoying them, I moved from a pair of Klipsch Heresy 1's.

I'm looking ahead to my next steps. While I am pleased with the Sierra 1's, they seem a little laid back on the top end. Budget is really limited to about $400 so the NRT upgrade would work. Upgrading to the 2 or 2ex is a no go.

I also recently ran across these for approx the same price (with cables) as the NRT upgrade
    https://www.aperionaudio.com/product...weeter-speaker
    Has anyone had experience with the Aperion or other supertweeters with the Sierra?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Default Re: Sierra 1 NRT upgrade vs supertweeter

The integration may seem simple and straighforward, but I would not. People like Dave F integrate drivers into systems for a living and spend many hours, drivers, crossover components, etc to get things to work together. This is what we pay for when we buy a speaker "system". I've tried putting my own speakers together, even with pre-designed kits. They just did not work...and I ended up spending a TON on drivers and cabinets. Those projects are either in the trash or collecting spider webs in my basement! (Anyone wanna buy a gorgeous set of Raven R2 tweeters?)

Exactly what Qman said!
    -curtis

I highly recommend against a "super tweeter" option.

You would be adding an additional transducer that would be playing the same frequencies as the Sierra-1 tweeter, this will cause destructive wave interference. To make matters even worse, the 2 sources that will be playing the same frequencies have very different dispersion patterns.

If you are looking for more top end "sizzle" - the best option is our NrT upgrade. I was actually rather surprised at Aperion when they started retailing this.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

If your main complaint with the S-1 is they are too laid back and you want a little more zing in the high end—something more like a metal dome but less fatiguing—the NrT upgrade is indeed the way to go.

Back when they were pretty new, some lunkhead did the NrT upgrade and wrote a fairly detailed review that you can find here:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...Upgrade-Review
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Thanks for the replies, all. I guess I'm not surprised, but I appreciate the info. I'll keep saving my shekels for the NRT upgrade. The good news is, they sound great the way they are.

Noooooooo... nope, lol.

Definitely better to go with the NrT upgrade and let the pros do it right. Tho I do think it's worth it to skip right to the RAAL tweets, be it the 2 or EX kits. I'd try to save up a little more and go that route.

That's because I know me tho. This is how it would play out; The NrT would sound better and I'd be thinking "If the NrT sounds this good, then the RAALs must be amazing! Man, I shoulda woulda coulda...". Then I'd start scheming a way to get them anyway. I learned from my sub shopping experience. Get the best I can the first time, even if it takes a little longer. I spend a lot less that way in the long run, lol.