Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Finally pulled the trigger.

Default Re: Finally pulled the trigger.

Update:
    I pulled out my old dusty Cinepro 600X2SE Amp (300W Per channel) that hasnt been turned on in probably 10 years!.. and peeled signal off the pre-outs from the old Pioneer AVR. Just a few songs in, but HOLY HELL! What an enlightenment! Everything else is same, room position, LP, etc. OMFG! Excited to try a good pre like my Bryston. Really surprised how awesome the old Cinepro sounds as well.

I'm not saying the sound is perfect, but its a HUGE improvement. I still need to tame some room nodes, and theres a peaky upper midrange i get on occasion. Tried an Enya CD and it was ear-piercing. Not sure what's going on there. And theres a bit of smear to the detail. I will be trying the other room soon.
    Anyone find it Ironic how the AMP is X2SE and the speakers are S2EX???!!
    Last edited by Qman; 07-31-2020 at 06:45 AM.

So with only a few days left, I am ready to return the S2EX and Duo center. With the S2EXs, I've tried 3 different amps, 3 different preamps, 2 different rooms, many different placements, several different sources, different cables (my best being Kimber 4VS speaker wire and Silver Sonic interconnects). My best (I believe) pre-amp combo is the Bryston B6. I have an older Yamaha preamp that has Bass, mid and treble controls, as well as a loudness contour dial. Nothing seems to help. I've placed them on the long wall, short wall, different room, equilateral triangle, subwoofer/no sub, etc.

I cannot get these to sound what I consider anywhere near audiophile quality. Yes, there are certain aspects I like, like the smooth tweeter, (albeit too subdued for my tastes), great impact and dynamics. But I cannot seem to get these to open up as far as soundstage, or provide a smooth response or great detail, which is what these speakers tend to be famous for. I have no idea where to go next except return for refund.

Now with the Duo, I cannot get rid of boomy voices, nearly unintelligible usually. It may be my old receiver (Pioneer Vsx D812) and lack of decent digital decoding, I'm not sure. Plus when I lay down on the couch, the hi end disappears with that directional tweeter, and I lose everything. With all the hype, I really don't understand the results I'm getting.

Perhaps if I had more time, and have purchased a decent AVR with feedback EQ, I could dial them in better, but I don’t have that luxury at the moment.
    I really thought these would be awesome and wanted them to work, but I am sorely disappointed.

Well if they don’t meet your criteria and you are within the return period, send them back. That is what the in home trial period is for.

Do you so happen to have any in room measurements you could share?

Actually, it would be great to see pictures on how they were placed in the room.

The comments about the Duo is especially interesting...and baffling. I think a pic would tell a lot.
    -curtis

For voices to be almost unintelligible something seems off.

Also, you say when you “lay down” on the couch the high end disappears due to the directional tweeter. This should only be affected if you are standing up I would think..... unless you’re couch is 10’ below the center channel.

I agree with Curtis, a picture will be worth a thousand words.
    Last edited by diesel79; 08-18-2020 at 01:41 PM.

I don't have that sort of equipment. I only used my old ears. I do realize that im not going to get perfect sound out of the box, but it seems odd that i can't get lower midrange honk out all 3 of these speakers, nor do i get the kind of detail/resolution i am expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    For voices to be almost unintelligible something seems off.

Also, you say when you “lay down” on the couch the high end disappears due to the directional tweeter. This should only be affected if you are standing up I would think..... unless you’re couch is 10’ below the center channel.

I agree with Curtis, a picture will be worth a thousand words.
    Or when he lays down, there is something between him and the speaker.
    -curtis

Haven't posted a pic before. Not sure how.

It's also interesting to note that the Focal in-ceiling surround speaker s i just installed were temporarily hooked in as mains L+R to see how they sounded using my receiver. The wife and i agreed they sounded great! And we both agree the 3 ascends do not!

Well to each his own I guess. We all have different ears, rooms, and preferences.

If your not happy, return them within the trial period.