Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for new AVR, Pre/Pro

Default Re: Recommendation for new AVR, Pre/Pro

I ordered the new Outlaw 5000x. During the 30 day trial, if heating is an issue. I can return. I have to pay return shipping. But I guess that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by parmodmehta View Post
    I ordered the new Outlaw 5000x. During the 30 day trial, if heating is an issue. I can return. I have to pay return shipping. But I guess that's ok.
    Cool.
    What made you go in that direction?
    -curtis

Few reasons:
    1. Outlaw 5000x is a newer version of 5000, which got great reviews. So I think it's a known quantity. I guess so is Monolith
    2. Monolith is not available until sometime in August. So in between that time, I can at least test the idea of using an external app, which is a new concept for me, for ~$65, not a bad investment I think
    3. 5000x weigh <50Lb. Good for my back
    4. I will learn about the heating issues, so in case I need to return Outlaw and buy Monolith. I am better educated.

Ahh. Got it!
    You might want to throw in comparing two different amps, along with the amps in the AVR, to see what differences you hear, if any.
    -curtis

parmodmehta - let us know what you find out.

Awesome parmodmehta, it's (to me anyway) a big jump into this tier of audio. (and, in my case, so worth it!)

We would all love to hear your impressions, and thanks for sharing the journey!
    Sierra Towers w/RAAL as L/R, Horizon w/RAAL as center, Sierra 2's w/RAAL as L/R surround, Marantz AVR7705, D-Sonic M3a-2800, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic UB820

So I have a new Outlaw 5000x hooked up in my setup. My immediate feedback was wow! Depending on the material, I hear the day and night difference between Pioneer SC55 internal amps and Outlaw 5000x, especially music. I never knew Sierra 2EX could sound this good.

The sound quality is dynamic and full. Before watching movies high were too high, and lows were too lows, problem solved!

The most surprising of all the Outlaw 5000x runs cool, very cool, in-fact believe it not cooler than my class D Pioneer SC55.

Now, for someone like me, who is new to pre/pro, it's not an easy setup, what made it more difficult is my setup (see the attached pics). Here's are some of the unresolved issues:

Ground loop. I was not aware of the ground loop issue. It took me a while to isolate the problem. The problem is the coaxial cable for cable TV. I have ordered an isolation transformer to fix the hum issue.

Binding posts on the outlaw are good. But I think they are bit loose, especially for the front right speaker, maybe I need better banana plugs.

12v Trigger doesn't work. Not sure it's an issue with the outlaw unit or my AVR.

Overall, I am happy with the setup. So the question is

Keep it? Or return and wait for Monolith 5-channel?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outlaw or Monolith really up to you and your budget. For whatever reason, can't seem to open the Outlaw page for this amp but believe it is around 600. The Monolith 5 channel is 1500, but 80 wpc more. So a bit more headroom, but do you need it?

May be a setting in your AVR to turn on the trigger. Also, may need a mono trigger cable and not stereo. If amp came with a trigger cable, use that one.

Yes, cable boxes are notorious for hums and other issues.

I think the outlaw site is down. 5000x is indeed 600. I don't know if I need the headroom unless I guess I hear it! Monolith is undoubtedly within the budget.

Well, I believe Outlaw has a 30 day return policy. Maybe you can try the Monolith before having to send the Outlaw back. Decide if it's any improvement over the Outlaw. Send one or the other back based on your auditions.