Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Recommendation for new AVR, Pre/Pro

Default Re: Recommendation for new AVR, Pre/Pro

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I've had three Sierra-1s for 10 years now. They sound great. I've always run them on budget surround sound receivers. My current receiver broke, so I'm looking to upgrade. Budget is ~$1,000. Maybe I'll add a subwoofer, or maybe I'll just a get a new receiver. I only need one digital HDMI or optical input, so receivers with 10 analog/20 digital (etc) doesn't make a difference.

First website I looked at was Onkyo. I am confused:
    $499
    A-9150 Integrated Stereo Amplifier
    2 x 60 W/Ch @ 4 Ohms

$499
    TX-8270 Network Stereo Receiver
    Power Watts/Ch (8 Ohms 20-20kHz, 2 Channels Driven, FTC) 100

$499
    TX-RZ730 9.2 - Channel Network A/V Receiver
    Power Watts/Ch (8 Ohms 1kHz, 2 Channels Driven, FTC) 100

They all cost the same, but the stereo amp seems way under powered compared to the other two. Since they are all $499 why wouldn't I just get the 9.2 Receiver?

I was recommended by my friend to get Denon 800H or Marantz NR1200, stop using the center speaker, and use the rest of my budget on a good subwoofer.

I listen to about 50/50 music/movies. What do you recommend?

Yes, the stereo one based on the specs you posted does look way under powered versus the other 2. 60 wpc @ 4 ohms will be less at 8 ohms.

If you're 50/50 music/movies and all ready have the center, I'd continue to use it. Center is most important channel in HT.

Personally, I'd recommend Yamaha, Denon or Marantz over Onkyo. You could check out accessories for less - they have factory refurbished units for pretty good prices.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ceivers/2.html

You could likely find one that suits your needs for 400-500, and then pick up a Rythmik L12 or LV12F for around 600.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Yes, the stereo one based on the specs you posted does look way under powered versus the other 2. 60 wpc @ 4 ohms will be less at 8 ohms.

If you're 50/50 music/movies and all ready have the center, I'd continue to use it. Center is most important channel in HT.

Personally, I'd recommend Yamaha, Denon or Marantz over Onkyo. You could check out accessories for less - they have factory refurbished units for pretty good prices.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ceivers/2.html

You could likely find one that suits your needs for 400-500, and then pick up a Rythmik L12 or LV12F for around 600.
    Yup, I bought my last 3 avrs from AC4L and have had a good run with all of them, tho a friend of mine got 2 lemons in a row from them (replaced a defective one with another defective one). They made it right, but the process was a bit tedious. Make sure you check and understand the return policy before committing. They're not the type of place for buying stuff to test it out, then send it back if you just plain don't like it. There are restocking fees.

Based on my (and others') experience with them I think my friend just got unlucky. Look for the specials offering a 3 year warranty. I got one with my SR6011 (tho it's outlived its warranty by now). Last I checked I think they were running that special with the Denon X4500H.