Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for new AVR, Pre/Pro

Default Recommendation for new AVR, Pre/Pro

I am running 5.1 system using Pioneer SC55. Watching TV, Movies, Music.

Center - Sierra Horizon (RAAL)
    Left/Right - Sierra 2EX
    Surround - Old Pyle in wall speakers.
    Sub - PSA Audio F15SE.

I have no issues with the setup. I guess soon its time for a AVR upgrade. Here are the options:

Option1: Keep the Pioneer SC55, add an external amp, and upgrade the Pre later
    Option2: Buy another AVR.

A couple of years ago my AVR stopped working with ue22 error. Onkyo fixed it for free.

Option1- Emotiva XPA5, Outlaw5000x, Monolith
    Option2 - No idea yet

The equipment go into an enclosed space. For the airflow, I can open the door of the enclosed space, otherwise, no option. I never had any heating issue with Pioneer SC55. Nothing will be placed on top the the new equipment with at-least 5 to 6 inch of space above.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Default Re: Recommendation for new AVR, Pre/Pro

Budget for new AVR? What are you looking to improve?

My thoughts on the AMP - I'd place the Monolith as first option, Outlaw as 2nd, Emotiva last. Have you also considered class D? Some good options there (D-Sonic, VTV), although with RAALS, there have been recommendations to stay with a good A/B amp.

That said, I believe your Pioneer is based on Class D amplification. So, you may be fine with Class D and RAALs if it's not bothered you to date. Also, class D likely explains why no heating issue with the Pioneer. The 3 amps you listed will generate more heat.

I guess the goal is to improve the overall dynamic. At times, while watching movies and listening to music, I feel the sound is overly bright. Over time, I got used to it, but now and then it feels tiring. I don't know if this is because of the particular receiver I use or class D characteristic in general.

The goal is to build a system that I can live with for another ten years, so the budget is flexible.

I don't think I will get a decent AVR under $3000.

With pre/pro, I guess I can stagger the purchase overtime to save the upfront cost.

The Outlaw5000x or 7000x looks very promising.

My only concern with heat if the thing is going to burn down the house or stopped working altogether.

I guess I can take a chance with Outlaw and return if heating becomes an issue, the return policy is 30 days, which is enough time to test the equipment.

Thoughts?

Do you use MCACC on the Pioneer? Have you compared the sound with it on vs off?

I would also recommend the Monolith. It is a solid A/B class amp built by ATI, and should last many years.

I have an ATI 1505, which is an ancestor to the Monolith amps. I bought it used about 15 years ago. Still solid as ever. I always think about replacing it, but don't have a good reason to. I will probably replace it with a Monolith when I finally go to Atmos.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-14-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    -curtis

I have used MCACC. To be honest, it never worked for me. I ended up doing manual adjustments. How do you turn the MCACC off? I will give it a try.

Yeah, I like to invest in an amp that can last many years.

not now, but any suggestions on pre?

Suggest you look at some cooling for your enclosed area. Something like this:
    https://www.acinfinity.com/component...SABEgKH1_D_BwE

If you'd like to stick with a one box solution and can swing the budget, look at the new Arcam AVR10 & AVR20. I had a chance to hear the AVR20 and it is impressive. Built like a tank. Dirac live room correction.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Also, you CAN get a decent AVR for under $3k. The Denon AVR X3600H was tested as excellent. (but it seems no longer available. Other similar models may be as good, not sure)

Agree with QMAN - cooling is a good idea. They also make less expensive models, like single fans with a manual switch. I use 4 of these in my entertainment center - 1 with main tube amp, 1 with phono stage, 1 with MRX720, 1 with power conditioner/sugar cube (mainly because I've not yet got an extension to put it on the shelf with my surround/atmos channel amp. Work really well - even with the tube amp.

ARCAM are nice, as is Denon. Dirac is the better room correction, though. I'll add Anthem as a recommendation. If you are staying 5.1, MRX520. Also has preouts so can use external amplification. Usually have 20% off a couple of times a year. Rumor is they are coming out with new models later this year, so may be able to pick up a current model used at a discount. Anthem's room correction is nearly as good as DIRAC based on comments from folks who have used both.

I have had Dirac and now have Anthem's ARC/Genesis. I can attest that in my system, in the very least, they are comparable. I was worried about giving up Dirac, but that is no longer the case.
    -curtis