Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ahhh Houston, we have a problem....

Default Re: Ahhh Houston, we have a problem....

Mine are not the first generation, but the Sierra-2 woofers were very snug. It might've been just a little extra finish. It's been a long time!
    Nate

Mine have the Black Mesh over insulation glued to the inside of the cabinet, was concerned I was gonna smash my knuckles when it broke free.
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

This upgrade has been really poor, I'm REALLY Surprised at this...🙄🤔
    The driver opening had to be grounded out, and the actual Bolt pattern is wrong because of the bigger cage.🙄
    The new XO board is much larger, doesn't line up...need self tapper's to screw it down...
    C'mon Man.....🤔🙄

NOTHING in that UG Kit mentioned this....🙄
    I've been a HUGE preponent of Ascend, but this is pathetic.... 👎This "Upgrade" isn't even REMOTELY CLOSE to just a swap..., It's a modify EVERYTHING to make it work...
    Sorry, I'm not feeling it.👎
    BAH... C'mon Man.....

You can't fit a 6" basket in a 5 1/4 basket hole pattern unless there's a miracle, or you move the mounting screws in on the basket...you haven't provided it Dave...
    This is beyond pissing me off.
    This should NEVER have been called an S1 "Upgrade kit", it's NOT, WITHOUT MASSIVE WORK!.

BTW, those different lug SIZES on the new Driver SHOULD have been mentioned as well...
    C'mon Man... 🤔
    I LOVE ASCEND, these things I've mentioned are TRUE, they are harsh, and I'd NEVER want that, but this is reality....🤔🙄

Oh man, sorry to hear you had all that trouble. I did warn you in my previous posts about those 1st gen cabinets having the very issues you ran into. Did you use the SPAX self tappers I mentioned, or another type?

I was aggravated when I did the Sierra-2 upgrade and ran into these issues. I posted about it and described how I solved them to try to help others who run into the same thing. I don't recall having an issue with the screw holes for the woofer flange being moved, but maybe it was a non issue for me and I blocked it out of my memory?

Anyway, I hope the improved performance of the EX upgrade will overshadow your frustration. I love mine!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

When I installed the upgrade kits from a S1 to the S2 it was very smooth and easy, when I upgrade to the EX will it be smooth and easy like my past upgrade or is there something different with the new EX upgrade kit that makes it more difficult?
    Last edited by JustABrah; 09-11-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    When I installed the upgrade kits from a S1 to the S2 it was very smooth and easy, when I upgrade to the EX will it be smooth and easy like my past upgrade or is there something different with the new EX upgrade kit that makes it more difficult?
    If the first time was smooth and easy, subsequent ones will be as well. The 2EX is not the problem, the problem is the first run of S1s (probably 2008 or so, I think) were cut somewhat differently than all the later ones, and there are fit issues with those.

I bought S1's in 2010 and have done every possible upgrade, S1 to NrT, then to S2, and then to S2EX. All of them were quick and easy with no troubles whatsoever.
    Last edited by SunByrne; 09-12-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Yes, only us lucky individuals who jumped on the Sierra-1 bandwagon when they were initially released back in 2007, maybe 2008? have this issue. The cabinet suppliers were changed shortly after the release due to inconsistent tolerances and fit issues, if my memory is correct. Bottom line..... If you remove the woofer and see the yellow fiberglass insulation encased in black mesh rather than the newer white Dacron sheet insulation, expect some challenges.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Sorry for the issues Muzz, but yes - you were informed those 1st gen Sierra-1 cabinets can be problematic. I recall offering to handle the upgrade for you.

and the actual Bolt pattern is wrong because of the bigger cage.🙄
    This is incorrect, bolt hole pattern has never changed and is identical from Sierra-1 woofer all the way through to Sierra-2EX woofer. We spent a small fortune with SEAS on tooling an entirely new custom basket just to keep the bolt hole pattern the same. Yes, the woofer cutout itself might have to be slightly enlarged in 1st gen Sierra-1 cabinets - but the bolt hole pattern is identical.

The new XO board is much larger, doesn't line up...need self tapper's to screw it down...
    Yes, the new crossover will have to be screwed down into the bottom baffle rather than using the threaded inserts in the gen 1 cabinets. Screwing the crossover board down into the bottom baffle is common practice actually, it is quite simple.

You can't fit a 6" basket in a 5 1/4 basket hole pattern unless there's a miracle, or you move the mounting screws in on the basket...you haven't provided it Dave...
    Absolutely can, and we now have many thousands of customers that have done this upgrade Muzz. I am indeed sorry for your frustration. However, at this point, only about 2-3% of Sierra-1 customers have 1st gen cabinets and these are the only cabinets where the upgrade can be problematic. We stopped shipping Gen 1 Sierra-1 cabinets around May/June of 2008, yet we still support and even offer to do the upgrades for those customers.

What company in any industry offers to upgrade 12+ year old products? Most companies don't even offer any form of support for a product that is out-of-warranty.

BTW, those different lug SIZES on the new Driver SHOULD have been mentioned as well... C'mon Man..
    If you mean the woofer faston connectors that connect to the woofer crossover wires, they too have not changed and are the exact same size from Sierra-1 woofer to Sierra-2/Sierra-2EX woofer. If the faston connections feel loose on the new woofer, it is because you opened them up a bit when removing the faston connector from the old woofer. As mentioned in the instructions, it is recommend to crimp them a bit so they tighten back up.

Again, sorry for your frustrations - send it all back to us and we will handle it for you. It is simple for us...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com