Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luna vs HTM-200 Atmos

Default Re: Luna vs HTM-200 Atmos

Dave in the past has recommended non Ascend ceiling speaker for this sort of application. I agree, having used in wall speakers in the past...they might make Atmos application much easier...if you have a way to run wires behind the wall or in ceiling.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Anyone know if Ascend is planning on making in ceiling speakers for Atmos? I agree with the above that in ceiling would be ideal and my preferred option but I would like to keep my speakers all under the same brand.

I Installed a set of these.
    https://www.focal.com/en/custom-inte...eakers/100icw6

While I dont have an Atmos setup, these still sound *really* good for rear surrounds. (Available on Amazon)
    Last edited by Qman; 07-08-2020 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    Anyone know if Ascend is planning on making in ceiling speakers for Atmos? I agree with the above that in ceiling would be ideal and my preferred option but I would like to keep my speakers all under the same brand.
    I don't think there are any plans for Ascend to make in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. A good-quality, neutral sounding speaker will blend just fine.
    Nate

Ascend iirc...has recommended Sonance for these types of applications. I did some back checking and found at that time it didn't make sense to expand the Ascend brand into making architectural designs but in today's age of Atmos and other surround formats... people are taking notice and looking to expand....so there is definitely a market for this imo. I'd hate the idea of mounting 4 added surrounds in my living room ceiling..it just wouldn't fly with the missus.
    Last edited by billy p; 07-08-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Ascend iirc...has recommended Sonance for these types of applications. I did some back checking and found at that time it didn't make sense to expand the Ascend brand into making architectural designs but in today's age of Atmos and other surround formats... people are taking notice and looking to expand....so there is definitely a market for this imo. I'd hate the idea of mounting 4 added surrounds in my living room ceiling..it just wouldn't fly with the missus.
    In-ceiling wouldn't fly?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    In-ceiling wouldn't fly?
    Meh...I beg to differ....the percentile you're talking about is a small sample size based on av forums. The majority of folks I know use sound bars, satellite cubes or non obtrusive solutions to make ideas work for living rooms within their homes....yymv.

I know Sonance is within walking distance of Ascends and hence Dave recommendation at times for this application.

Living in Canada...thou we don't have the wide variety of options available... otherwise I'd strongly consider Revels for this project, I'm looking to take on. Fwiw...when I had my S1 nrts... I used Axiom q4s for surrounds and they did the trick. I know Axiom has a full array of ceiling & inwall options and would be my easiest path to 5.1.4....
    Last edited by billy p; 07-09-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Flush-mounting the HTM200 works really well, especially if you have a lower 8' ceiling and need the distance to maintain proper angles. It would be nice to aim the tweeter like the inwall/ceiling speakers.

https://imgur.com/a/uw095

I have Sierra-2s (just upgraded to EX today) as LCR with Axiom M3-On Wall and Axiom M3-In Ceiling in a 5.1.2 configuration. The Axiom speakers produce good sound. The On-Walls are better than the Polk On-Walls that I replaced them with. The In-Ceilings are also better than the Definitive Techology In-Ceilings in my kitchen (probably also because the Axioms are closed back while the Def Techs are not). However, the Axioms are not sonic match to the Sierra-2s. The RAAL tweeter produces highly detailed sound and has a very wide dispersion pattern. I doubt that any non-ribbon speakers can be seamless with the Sierra-2s. This is not to say that I don't enjoy my system. I do very much especially when the movie score has different instrument played on the height channels. But I often wonder what an Atmos system with Sierra-2, Horizon, Duo, or Luna (all with RAAL tweeter) would sound like.
    Last edited by hoyalawya; 07-19-2020 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by hoyalawya View Post
    I have Sierra-2s (just upgraded to EX today) as LCR with Axiom M3-On Wall and Axiom M3-In Ceiling in a 5.1.2 configuration. The Axiom speakers produce good sound. The On-Walls are better than the Polk On-Walls that I replaced them with. The In-Ceilings are also better than the Definitive Techology In-Ceilings in my kitchen (probably also because the Axioms are closed back while the Def Techs are not). However, the Axioms are not sonic match to the Sierra-2s. The RAAL tweeter produces highly detailed sound and has a very wide dispersion pattern. I doubt that any non-ribbon speakers can be seamless with the Sierra-2s. This is not to say that I don't enjoy my system. I do very much especially when the movie score has different instrument played on the height channels. But I often wonder what an Atmos system with Sierra-2, Horizon, Duo, or Luna (all with RAAL tweeter) would sound like.
    Very useful Post and I agree...in having a seemless and uniformed sound but for effects in a Atmos application for home theater....it's a trade-off I'm willing to compromise for the bases of aesthetic and financial commitment.