Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luna vs HTM-200 Atmos

Default Re: Luna vs HTM-200 Atmos

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I went from HTM-200s to Sierra-1s to 2s to Lunas. For me it was worth it because of listening to multi-channel music. Having voices and instruments discreetly placed in the rear channels made upgrading from the HTM-200s worth it. Going to the Lunas helped with getting the placement where I wanted it.

Yes, HTM-200s can be mounted on the ceiling facing down. I put mine at the top of my rear wallAttachment 1959. I recovered mine in white vinyl and speaker cloth to blend in better.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I went from HTM-200s to Sierra-1s to 2s to Lunas. For me it was worth it because of listening to multi-channel music. Having voices and instruments discreetly placed in the rear channels made upgrading from the HTM-200s worth it. Going to the Lunas helped with getting the placement where I wanted it.

Yes, HTM-200s can be mounted on the ceiling facing down. I put mine at the top of my rear wallAttachment 1959. I recovered mine in white vinyl and speaker cloth to blend in better.
    You did a great job covering the speakers white! It would be amazing if Ascend would offered the HTM-200 in white, I think the Lunas can be ordered in white?

For movies was there a noticeable difference between using the Sierras/Lunas to the HTM-200 for surrounds/Atmos?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I went Atmos a few years ago -- really cool for movies. Use HTM200 for front/rear ATMOS (high on wall, near ceiling, pointed towards MLP). Moved my S2 to surrounds when I picked up my Towers w/ RAAL and Luna Duo for center.
    I hear such mix opinions with Atmos, some say it’s not that noticeable and others say it’s game changer! I would only have the option for front heights or overheads as that’s the max my AVR will allow, how big is the effect of atmos?

If you can only do fronts, I'd pass on ATMOS. When I was researching, general consensus was at least front and rears. Further, those up-firing speakers were distant third in impact versus overheads, followed closely by heights near the ceiling (way I went as the ceiling in my room is trayed).

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    You did a great job covering the speakers white! It would be amazing if Ascend would offered the HTM-200 in white, I think the Lunas can be ordered in white?

For movies was there a noticeable difference between using the Sierras/Lunas to the HTM-200 for surrounds/Atmos?

I did ask about HTM200 in white - as I recall, can be done but it was at a cost more than I wanted to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I did ask about HTM200 in white - as I recall, can be done but it was at a cost more than I wanted to pay.
    Yes...I had my 200se refinished in espresso to match my mains.... nearly doubled the price....but worth due to my anal nature and why I'd be reluctant to part with them. However...with my new OLED....when I'm streaming a movie....the surrounds really come alive much more mixing with Atmos... encoded flicks, I believe that the Luna would be more beneficial due to proximity of seating area and why I'll be moving the 200se eventually to a height speaker....being they are sealed and make for easy placement.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Thanks! My brother-in-law does vinyl decals for vehicles and gave me some matte white vinyl to overlay the speakers. I bought the white speaker cloth on eBay and stuck it on with spray adhesive. It wasn't too hard. I wouldn't want vinyl covered speakers for my mains but for where they are they look good enough to me.
    Nate

I hear such mix opinions with Atmos, some say it’s not that noticeable and others say it’s game changer! I would only have the option for front heights or overheads as that’s the max my AVR will allow, how big is the effect of atmos?
    I agree with racrawford65, I think Atmos is worth doing if you can get 4 speakers in the correct locations. I think many times it's a subtle effect, just like surround sound should be. Some Atmos movies only use it effectively a few times and probably could be mixed much better. But I also enjoy the 'Dolby Surround' upmixer on non-Atmos movies. It'll use all of your speakers with 2-7 channel material. Sometimes it feels like the effects move right through the middle of the room.
    Nate

For the best experience, one would opt for front heights and front rears at a 45 degree angle of elevation from the main listening position. Ideally the speakers would be in-ceiling or if you have a little bit of extra ceiling height to spare, on-ceiling speakers. The speakers should have wide dispersion in all directions and be aimed straight down. This is per Dolby’s guidelines and how things are mastered in most/all studios for the movie mix. Another benefit of going with speakers positioned as described and labeled as such, is that it will also work well with DTS X soundtracks and their upmixer.

Since the HTM 200’s have a dome tweeter, with identical dispersion in all directions, then it is better suited for Atmos overhead speakers. With the Luna’s it is kind of tricky with wide dispersion in one direction and narrow dispersion perpendicular to that direction. You still want the speaker pointing down, if they are overhead, but the wider dispersion orientation probably aimed at the main listening position.

Honestly, the best option would be just a good set of in-ceiling speakers. You can find a good pair, for around the price of a pair of HTM 200’s. They will aesthetically look the best too.

Agree with N Boros, good pairs of in-ceiling speakers is best way to go, assuming you can use them in your room (eg, run wires so they are hidden, clearance above the ceiling, etc.), followed by the HTM200's - versatile as you can mount them on the ceiling or up high on the front/rear walls.