Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nora Jones

Default Nora Jones

I listened to this on a decent system, and it seemed to be a very clean, well-mastered CD. Never mind the fact her voice sounds like a sultry angel, her band is pretty good too!

Which CD - Come Away With Me? I recently purchased the SACD version of this disc - and what a voice indeed. With the 340's it sounds like she's in the room with me - it's actually kind of spooky to tell you the truth! What I find a bit strange is that the SACD is not mixed so that Norah's voice comes from the Center. In fact, its mixed into both the right and left channels, along with her piano, with the bass and drums coming from the center. However, this mix does put her right out in front, in your H/T room, it's great!

I've heard she has another, newer CD out - have you heard that one (or is that the one you're talking about)?

Her two CDs are:

Come Away with Me
    Feels Like Home

She is also the featured vocalist on Peter Malick Group's "New York City" which is a great CD....I like it better than her own two.
    -curtis

Thanks Curtis - I'll be going shopping for more SACD's soon - I'll see if either or both are available!

yeah her latest CD (not sure what name) sounds fantastic on accurate speakers. shame i'm not really 'into' that kind of music. it's hard to find recordings of similar quality - anyone got ideas?

"Feels Like Home" is her latest......there are a couple of songs on there that were not recorded that well. It is not available in SACD.

The Peter Malick Group CD is fantastic.....I don't think it is on SACD either.
    -curtis

Curtis and I both showed up at the Austin GTG with the Peter Malick Group CD in our reference CDs.

Funny, I got early promo editions of both "Come Away With Me" and "Feels Like Home" and both are WAY hot in the upper register, to the point of distorting. I kept thinking it was something with my (old) system, but then I found a thread somewhere in which a half dozen people mentioned the same thing. Apparently, the problem was corrected for the official releases.

I remember first seeing her sit in with Charlie Hunter at Yoshi's (in Oakland), like three or four years ago. She looked so young, but man could she sing! Her cover of Nick Drake's "Day is Done" on Hunter's "Songs from the Analog Playground" is probably my fav...

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    She is also the featured vocalist on Peter Malick Group's "New
    York City" which is a great CD....I like it better than her own two.
    Great recommendation! My wife & I both love Norah Jones - I agree that she sounds amazing with my Ascends. I found that this CD costs $12 retail, but only $7 from itunes. I know that there is some loss of quality for mp3 downloads - my question is - is it enough to make a significant difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff_L
    Great recommendation! My wife & I both love Norah Jones - I agree that she sounds amazing with my Ascends. I found that this CD costs $12 retail, but only $7 from itunes. I know that there is some loss of quality for mp3 downloads - my question is - is it enough to make a significant difference?
    It has been my experience, that with bought music from iTunes, there is a noticeable loss in quality. For some, it is not a big deal, for others, it is. It is for me.
    -curtis