Thread: Amplifier?

Default Amplifier?

Greetings to all,

Got my Sierra 2's (used) about a year ago and then did EX upgrade. Paired with my Rythmik F12 sub, this setup is as good or better as anything I've ever had. I'm powering everything with a McIntosh MC 7200 (200 wpc) and McIntosh c37 preamp. I sometimes think that I may be risking disaster with too much power. So, I've been reading about the Parasound Hint 6 or Yamahs A-S2100 as a replacement for the McIntosh gear. Is anyone out there using either of these two integrated amps with their Sierras? Thanks in advance for your thoughts or suggestions.

Rick

Default Re: Amplifier?

As long as you don't turn it up too loud, I think you should be fine. Too little power is more dangerous than too much.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    As long as you don't turn it up too loud, I think you should be fine. Too little power is more dangerous than too much.
    There is no doubt about that statement! If you can avoid clipping, do it! Better to provide too much clean power to the speaker, than to provide any amount of dirty power.

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    There is no doubt about that statement! If you can avoid clipping, do it! Better to provide too much clean power to the speaker, than to provide any amount of dirty power.
    Agreed! Better to have the power to destroy and use it judiciously rather than push a lower powered amp to damaging clipping distortion. Also, going to a lower powered amp after being accustomed to what you have, you may notice decreased dynamics, or scale. I don't know for fact but something to consider.

If there is nothing wrong with your current amp then why not keep it? If you are looking for more up to date features, such as digital inputs, etc. then maybe just look for a new pre/pro.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Controlling your volume would be a lot more cost effective... lol.

You can blow speakers up with too little power too. In either case your ears should tell you when things aren't sounding right and that's when you back it off a touch. I agree with above, better to have more than enough than not enough.