Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: magnpan

Default magnpan

hello, was looking for a suggestion for a sub for 1.7 magnapans- new to rythrik subs-thank you

Default Re: magnpan

Sealed subs might work best but it would be helpful to know the size of your room and how loud you listen. Maybe a pair of F12's? Or L12's if that's better for your budget
    Nate

10w x 24 long

Quote Originally Posted by jb33 View Post
    10w x 24 long
    That's a fairly large room, especially if it is open to other areas of your house. It probably comes down to your preference. If your really want to pressurize your space then go with two ported subs, such as the FV15HP or if you prefer a sealed sub then go with two as big as your budget allows. I have two L12s which are great about 95% of the time. I wish they reached deeper for the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony and some movies will push them to their limits.
    Nate

thanks, probably something sealed- i have tried out other subs and issues getting them blended in with my magnapans.

thanks, probably something sealed- i have tried out other subs and issues getting them blended in with my magnapans.
    A space that size really screams for ported. Unless you want to go with 3 or 4 sealed subs. In my experience the whole sealed is better for music thing is largely a myth based on some early ported designs that had horrible group delay. With today's tech and computer modelling group delay has become a non issue with well engineered modern designs. Not to mention the eq most sealed designs require for deeper extension adds... you guessed it, group delay.

I'm not saying group delay has been eliminated, but it has been pushed below audibility thresholds.

The only advantage going with sealed these days is size, imo.

do you use rew software to help assist with setup?

I do indeed. I also have a MiniDSP 2x4 HD in the chain, tho my recent experience with the Audyssey app editor and Ratbuddyssey has convinced me that I could probably take the mini out and still get great results. I'm pretty impressed with the RB ui. It allows you to make much tighter and more precise adjustments, but is tedious and time consuming. If it were available then tho, I probably would have skipped ordering the mini.

hello, was looking for a suggestion for a sub for 1.7 magnapans- new to rythrik subs-thank you
    You don't say what you're listening to. Home theater puts different requirements on subs compared to music. And modern pop has different requirements than classical. Even inside classical, pipe-organ can worry the crap out of subs. For example, if the music is using that 32' pipe (16 Hz) you'll really want to consider ported subs.

You don't say whether you have a sealed room (that is, four walls and a door -- no open stairways, hallways, any of that) or an open floor plan. Subs care about the difference, mostly about the volume of air they are working into. Subs can't read your floor plan and can't limit your kitchen's exposure to bass. That's what walls and acoustical treatments are for.

Then you say "a sub" as if you're considering a single. Again, is this a sealed room or an open floor plan? It matters.

As for me, I've got my subs (a pair of Rythmik LVX12s) in a 14x20x8 sealed room. I'm using two because I needed to enlarge the "sweet spot" by controlling room modes. I'm using ported, not sealed, because I watch more HT than listen to music and I want that lower end 20 Hz capability to shake things when the story calls for it.

All that said, I think the most important thing for you will be using servo-subs. I think you'll find using servos makes integration with your mains a piece of cake. It did for me. And of course the Rythmik subs are all servo designs.

So... tell us more about your application. Plenty of smart people here willing to help, if you give them enough information so they can.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

thanks you, strictly 2 channel listening, the room is not sealed as there is a hallway about 1/3 down the length of the room. no treatments as i dont know much about that area. i did have a couple svs subs i tried out and could not get them dialed in, i do have mono block amps [ ps audio]. i would like to start with one sub and go from there. i dont know anything about rew software to help dial in. the servo subs seem to be a good fit from what i have read for magnapans.