Thread: Joining the club!

Default Joining the club!

Just talked with Dina on Friday and placed an order for a pair of Sierra Luna's and a Sierra duo. Super pumped to make the next step in my audio! I currently have a 5.1 set-up using Emotiva speakers (B1's LR, C1 center, E1 surrounds) which I have been enjoying, but I couldn't shake that upgrade itch. I plan to do some blind A/B listening to compare the new and old speakers in 2.1 mode. (Got a HSU VTF-15h mk2 handling bass) Couple questions for you guys:

1. What are some differences I should be listening for between the speakers?

2. What are some songs that will really showcase the abilities of the new Luna's? (Particularly the RAAL ribbons)

3. Any advice on how to handle the A/B listening?

Default Re: Joining the club!

1. Rather than listening for differences, I'd just try to listen as objectively as possible.
    2. Pick what you're familiar with. I like tracks that I think have good imaging, like Nickel Creek Ode to a Butterfly or Dave Matthews Band Two Step. Also, tracks that have a well recorded cymbal will showcase the ribbon.
    3. I converted a few tracks into mono using foobar and placed the two different speakers next to each other. I just had one speaker plugged in at a time. If you're using banana plugs, it's pretty quick to switch them.
    Nate

It's often said the best speakers are the ones that sound the most different with different recordings. Meaning, they have little signature of their own. This has always been one of my critical listening methods.

Congrats on the purchase!

Interested in any impressions you have, if you have arrived at any opinions at this point!

Always interesting to hear from other people about their impressions...

Cheers!

In comparing them to my Emotiva's, I found the differences pretty subtle, but they were definitely there. I would say the B1's sounded a little warmer by comparison, particularly with voices. They also had a more "in your face" sound compared to the Lunas, which sounded more laid back by comparison. The sound-stage for the Lunas felt farther back and wider, more expansive you could say, while the B1's felt narrower and closer if that makes any sense. The Lunas also had slightly more clarity when handling more complicated tracks, making it easier to pick out and listen to specific instruments. It wasn't a night and day difference by any means, but you could definitely tell you were listening to different speakers. I haven't been able to run Audyssey because one of the ports (Surround right) on my Denon stopped working, so I've only heard the speakers without the room correction. So far I'm pretty happy with them!