Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 200s vs. 170s vs. 340s

Interesting. I have a small (880 Cf) sealed room with 4 200s and a 340c. Was thinking abot moving to the 170 for right and left, but due to depth considerations, they would have to be mounted level with the 340 above the display. If I thought I would get more clarity on vocals I would go for it, otherwise I am pretty happy as is.

Comparing the HTM-200's with the CSW MC-200's there are a couple of significant differences. First they claim response down to 80 (vs. 74 for the HTM) but don't give the variance, +/- db as does Ascend. I would guess if they were +/- 3 db or better, they would tought it. Therefore I suspect their response is considerably worse the - 3 db. So sure they have a response down to 80, but can you hear it? Maybe you can, but without the specs, who knows?

Second, the MC-200's have one 4" woofer, the HTM's have two. That means the HTM's should be capable of pushing twice as much air. That's significant.

If you're going for best sound and budget is a major consideration, you can't go wrong with the HTM's. If size (small) is the driving factor, consider Hsu's Ventriloquist speakers.

The HTM-200s really seem to be the best combination of value and small size available. Like Debron mentioned, the CSW MC-200s only have one woofer, yet they cost a little more. I really like the fact that David actually puts *everything* up on the website. It's a good sales technique. Everything from the crossovers to the cast 4" woofer baskets looks high quality on these things. He has nothing to hide.

The fact that the smallest decent speaker I can find that goes down to 80hz is still 11"x6.5"x6.3" make me cringe to think what sounds my inlaws are missing on their expensive **** system with it's teeny-weeny cubes. My wife wants small speakers like that.... but the HTM-200s is where I'm drawing the line. It's time to be a man. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew
    missing on their expensive **** system with it's teeny-weeny cubes.
    ROTFLMAO This board censors B O S E!!!

No matter what speakers we like or dislike, there is one name that should not be allowed. I had one very minor, semi-good thing to say about this company on another board and you would have thought that I'd insulted everyone's mother. There is just no reasonable way to mention, let alone discuss ****.

David

Not everyone has bad opinions of B*se. I have a 12 year old pair of 301 Series IIIs that got dropped, driven with clipping amps, beer-soaked, etc. in the dorm room days, and those babys still kick ass today. My parents have them now, and I was listening to some dynamic Irish music (can't remember the name of the band) on them, and it sounded great. My inlaws old Acousimass Pro-Logic system also sounds good with movies, and dare I say, music. I know there is no way those little speakers can be accurate, but it's good enough for them.

All that said, knowing what I know now, there are very few situations where I would use a B**e product.

Well, thanks for the help, folks. I pulled the trigger on a pair of HTM-200s for my apartment, when my house is finished this summer, I'll get 5 more to complete the surround setup. I have a Pioneer 1014 which will be driving them all, and a Sony SAW-M40 sub until I build an infinite baffle beast (evil laugh). My hope is to equal or better a B*se system, for less money. LOL.

I'm sure I will post a full review, comparing them with the 3x2" speakers built into my 32" Panasonic TV. The HTM-200s will actually have to sit on top of the TV for now, as I don't even have room to mount them on the wall!!

I'm still thinking of buying some Circuit City/Best Buy speakers to compare with these for the fun of it. It would be intresting to see how some similarly priced Infinitys or Athenas stack up. I'll be using the 80hz crossover with the speakers set to small, so "bass response" will not really be tested.

I haven't had this much fun with gadgets since the first time I put 117 octane race gas in my car and cranked the boost to 23psi! Woot!

"I'm still thinking of buying some Circuit City/Best Buy speakers to compare with these for the fun of it. It would be intresting to see how some similarly priced Infinitys or Athenas stack up. I'll be using the 80hz crossover with the speakers set to small, so "bass response" will not really be tested. "

The 200 seem to be a niche speaker. They cost almost as much as the 170 but don't garner anywhere near the enthusiasm as the 170. I'll likely end up with 200's as surrounds because of issues unrelated to SQ. If I was going to do a "shootout" with CC/BB speakers in this price range, I'd use the 170 unless the CC/BB speaker was also a niche speaker. YMMV.

David

I don't think the 200 gets its due. I think that is because of a lack of professional reviews and all the acclaim heaped on the 170. I have 200s for surrounds and they shred the Paradigm Atoms that they replaced. Don't forget that it has 2 4" cones which gives it quite a lot of driver area. They have the same Ascend clarity that the 170 and 340s have.

Thanks, Quinn. I'm going with the 200's because they'll fit my existing stands and they're more portable than the 170's. When not in use, my surrounds have to be move to a less trafficed area. If this were strickly my house, I'd use 170's as surrounds and just not use the downstairs closet on one side and bookshelf on the other. But SWMBO says otherwise so we compromise. I get my speakers and I keep em outta da way when not in use.

David