Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pre/pro - AMP for Towers?

Default pre/pro - AMP for Towers?

It is extremely rare if using a high quality amplifier, but receivers typically have mediocre quality amp sections and power supply, thus they typically will clip easily.

I pullet Davef quote from the "Just how fragile are the Raals?" thread and My curiosity is rolling along.

I still haven't looked at my volume control settings to see if i have 2 settings and never used the "reference level" "talk" just the zero to 100 or what ever the volume number is. I'm getting there, lol

I am still saving for the Sierra DUO center for fall, don't watch much tv in the short summer we have.

Anyhow to the point per the title, What receiver pre/pro amp goes past mediocre? i learned i do not have pre outs and always try to prepare for the next upgrade. I have an Onkyo TX-NR 646 7.2 but run 5.1 and i am still working on its settings and i am no way getting the SPL that Pogre is getting.

what i am looking for is a high end even if it is entry level, Receiver , integrated amp (i do not need a tuner) or per/pro AMP affordable place to start looking. and trying to narrow down a starting point for 5.1 or 7.2? I was floored at the $400 price that i paid for my receiver and even called "My Store" to ask why so cheap and got the answer "Onkyo is losing market share to competitors and is running a great deal on these" so i got it because i really wasn't prepared for my last Onkyo to POP!

What processing and power will match these towers and bring out their true spirit?

Default Re: pre/pro - AMP for Towers?

Have you looked at the Anthem product offerings?
    https://www.anthemav.com/products-cu...pe=av-receiver

yes the 520 and 720 are on the list.

What really constitutes getting out of consumer grade or mediocre and into at least entry level high end?

I almost want to get out of the receiver end and into a good amp and an acceptable pre/pro or integrated amp and room correction SW does sound it is in play also.
    lat least a 5.1 ,5.2 processor(receiver) with pre out especially to power the front 3 LCR maybe use receiver power to power the 2 surround? I mostly listen to stereo but love to catch move night with the wife at home with kick but sound.
    the next step past mediocre i guess?
    that word just got the wheels turning as mediocre is ok but i am looking to match these towers with a set up they will enjoy past my mediocre receiver when she blows.
    Last edited by audiohead; 06-19-2020 at 09:30 AM.

I hear you. I wish there was an easy way to move from my average receiver for HT to my amp/preamp for L+R 2 channel music.

yeah, sounds about right. So using HT is a handicap for stereo?

Descrete output and Toroidal Transformers is part of what i used to think made a really good AMP. I am not sure if that holds true today?

Is there a recommended AMP that matches the impedance or sensitivity or power rating or something else to "match the AMP to speakers (towers)r"? to so called "pair the 2" ?

HT *can* be a handicap. It always comes down to the weakest link in the chain.

I'm sure there are great amps out there that may not have discrete components or toroids...There are many ways to get the job done. Conversely, toroids and discrete does not necessarily make a great amp!

Last question i will leave to experts. One point I will bring up is that Ascend speakers (from all I've read) are easy loads for amps in general, mainly due to the lack of Inductance. (They act like more of a pure resistive load than most other speakers)

I second Anthem. They occasional run 20% off MSRP. Rumor has it coming out with new models in near future but do not know the timing. Could find a deal on the current MRXx20's. Also, if ATMOS not a requirement, you could always search usaudiomart or audiogon for the previous generation Anthem.

Budget?

D-Sonic amps are awesome, if you are looking for class D.
    Monoprice Monolith (made by ATI) would be another recommendation.
    Rogue Audio if tubes are your thing (they also have hybrid models).

weakest link is understood very well. as i say working with a 2yr old router, Netgear AC1600 100kDL cable. HDMI cable and Ethernet settings are driving me crazy!

thx racrawford65 , you both gave me some research!

budget depends if i get called back off this furlough (which i am loving!)

Two years for a router isn't too old. How many devices hardwired vs wifi?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by audiohead View Post
    weakest link is understood very well. as i say working with a 2yr old router, Netgear AC1600 100kDL cable. HDMI cable and Ethernet settings are driving me crazy!

thx racrawford65 , you both gave me some research!

budget depends if i get called back off this furlough (which i am loving!)
    Good luck with the research!
    One add, you may also find a current generation Anthem MRX or AVM60 on those sites - they pop up occasionally. The Rogue Cronus Magnum is well reviewed. I have the amp-only version of this (Atlas Magnum II)...really solid tube amp made in USA. Excellent customer service also.