It is extremely rare if using a high quality amplifier, but receivers typically have mediocre quality amp sections and power supply, thus they typically will clip easily.

I pullet Davef quote from the "Just how fragile are the Raals?" thread and My curiosity is rolling along.

I still haven't looked at my volume control settings to see if i have 2 settings and never used the "reference level" "talk" just the zero to 100 or what ever the volume number is. I'm getting there, lol

I am still saving for the Sierra DUO center for fall, don't watch much tv in the short summer we have.

Anyhow to the point per the title, What receiver pre/pro amp goes past mediocre? i learned i do not have pre outs and always try to prepare for the next upgrade. I have an Onkyo TX-NR 646 7.2 but run 5.1 and i am still working on its settings and i am no way getting the SPL that Pogre is getting.

what i am looking for is a high end even if it is entry level, Receiver , integrated amp (i do not need a tuner) or per/pro AMP affordable place to start looking. and trying to narrow down a starting point for 5.1 or 7.2? I was floored at the $400 price that i paid for my receiver and even called "My Store" to ask why so cheap and got the answer "Onkyo is losing market share to competitors and is running a great deal on these" so i got it because i really wasn't prepared for my last Onkyo to POP!

What processing and power will match these towers and bring out their true spirit?