Thread: Sierra-2EX in an eventual nearfield surround set-up - need advice

Default Sierra-2EX in an eventual nearfield surround set-up - need advice

Hello! I need some advice for an eventual 5.1 (or 7.1) near-field set-up. I'm using audioengine A5 as desktop speakers and want to up the audio game as I convert my PC to a HTPC (connected to OLED TV). After looking at various forums, I really want the Sierra 2EX!

The room is a multi-use open concept long rectangle (40 feet by 12 feet). The area I can work with is 8 feet by 12 feet near the middle of room. The 8 feet sides have walls. The 12 feet sides just open into either sides of the 40 by 12 room. The listening position will between 4 and 6 feet from the screen/fronts. Usage will be 70% movies/games and 30% music (classical mostly). I only need good sound for the sweet spot and a large/wide sound stage is not important.

I'm planning on the current set up: Ascend Sierra-2EX fronts & center, Rythmic L12. Will be using Denon receiver. I will add the surrounds once my 3.1 is set-up.

A few questions I have:

- Will there be any issues with the listening position being 4 feet from speakers? LP can be moved back to 5 or 6 feet for movies but quite a bit of time will be spent in the nearer position.

- Will being in such a large room be an issue even if all I want to do is fill my listening position with good sound? Or will room dynamics make that hard to achieve?

- I don't see any pics of the 2EX center - do they come with RAAL ribbon? I ask because Horizon speaker comes with an upgrade option (or is that because Horizons can be used a RL fronts?)

- Can i use the horizon as my center with 2EX?

I currently have an audioengine A5 and I like how well it performs. They are active powered so moving to a 5.1 setup wont be as clean as using 5 passives. Also, I'm assuming 2EX will be huge upgrade to the A5s. However, if nearfield listening won't do full justice to the Sierra 2EX, I would like to considered other options.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Sierra-2EX in an eventual nearfield surround set-up - need advice

My expensive Home Theater experiment failed because my room wasn't right. I am how happy with a Focal sound bar for video, and a 2.1 set up for music.

1. The Sierra-2EX will sound great from 4 feet away.
    2. I don't think dynamics will be an issue since you'll be so close to the speakers. It may be harder to fill your large room with bass.
    3. Yes, the 2EX has a ribbon tweeter. It's essentially the same as a single with 2EX with the tweeter rotated and a symmetrical grill when positioned horizontally.
    4. Yes the Horizon would work well with a pair of 2EXs.

I've never heard the A5s but I would have to think the Sierra-2X would be a significant upgrade in every aspect of sound quality.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    4. Yes the Horizon would work well with a pair of 2EXs.

At 4 feet? Maybe another S2-EX, or Duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    My expensive Home Theater experiment failed because my room wasn't right. I am how happy with a Focal sound bar for video, and a 2.1 set up for music.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I figured it would not be ideal. I'll probably go ahead and give it a try anyway - if it doesn't work I'll just use the speaker for my main TV area.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    1. The Sierra-2EX will sound great from 4 feet away.
    2. I don't think dynamics will be an issue since you'll be so close to the speakers. It may be harder to fill your large room with bass.
    \\

I'm glad to hear this set up could work. I've actually made some modifications to my desktop area and I will be sitting between 5 and 6 feet away so that should help.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbeeter. It's essentially the same as a single with 2EX with the tweeter rotated and a symmetrical grill when positioned horizontally. View Post
    After seeing your post, I was looking at Duo and I think that fits perfectly. Even found a thread here where someone from Ascend (Dave?) was recommending Duo very highly.

My wallet isn't going to thank me but I'm really excited as this will be first foray into true audiophile level speakers!

Thanks all for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    Good point, I forgot about how close he's sitting
    Nate

At that kind of distance, and the back of the speaker possibly open to no wall, I would seriously consider Lunas instead.

With Luna's front firing slot port, it may be a more satisfying sound with all energy directed forward vs a rear port firing into an open space.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    At that kind of distance, and the back of the speaker possibly open to no wall, I would seriously consider Lunas instead.

With Luna's front firing slot port, it may be a more satisfying sound with all energy directed forward vs a rear port firing into an open space.
    The speakers' back ports will be 1 feet away from a wall. I wanted to go 2EX as I want a significant step up from what I have. I've done extensive comparisons between the A5s (what i have on my desktop) and a Klipsch RP-260 3.1 set up. The Klipsch set up cost 4 times as much and takes up ten times the space (floorstanders and a giant 15 inch sub). But if I discount bass performance, I cant really say the klipch RP-260 is miles ahead the A5.

If I'm going to spend lots of money I would like to hear the quality difference - otherwise I could just get a subwoofer for my A5s and stick with them for the time being. Based on what I have seen in a few forums, the 2EX seem to be significant step up for the other Ascend bookshelves. I'm unsure how much improvement the Lunas will be over the A5s.
    Last edited by Romanicus; 06-16-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanicus View Post
    The speakers' back ports will be 1 feet away from a wall. I wanted to go 2EX as I want a significant step up from what I have. I've done extensive comparisons between the A5s (what i have on my desktop) and a Klipsch RP-260 3.1 set up. The Klipsch set up cost 4 times as much and takes up ten times the space (floorstanders and a giant 15 inch sub). But if I discount bass performance, I cant really say the klipch RP-260 is miles ahead the A5.

If I'm going to spend lots of money I would like to hear the quality difference - otherwise I could just get a subwoofer for my A5s and stick with them for the time being. Based on what I have seen in a few forums, the 2EX seem to be significant step up for the other Ascend bookshelves. I'm unsure how much improvement the Lunas will be over the A5s.
    Got it. Understood.
    That said, I have every confidence that the Lunas would also be a step up(as is the CBM-170SE and HTM-200SE, I have heard the A5s), maybe not in the bass extension department, but in every other way. Of course, as far as bookshelves go, the EX is the ultimate in the Ascend line.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Got it. Understood.
    That said, I have every confidence that the Lunas would also be a step up(as is the CBM-170SE and HTM-200SE, I have heard the A5s), maybe not in the bass extension department, but in every other way. Of course, as far as bookshelves go, the EX is the ultimate in the Ascend line.
    Thanks! That is good to know. I will consider an all Luna set up and perhaps use some of the cost savings on a better receiver.