Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atmos anyone?

Default Atmos anyone?

Anyone doing Atmos and liking it?

I have an Anthem 720, currently setup as 7.1. It has atmos features so I'm toying with how to try that out. My speakers are LR S2EX, Duo center, and Orb rears and sides.

I could move the rears to be high fronts or on top of my mains pointing up. I have a fairly low ceiling. I'm not sure if my amp can do 7.1 + atmos.

At one time I fantasized about speakers IN the ceiling but I lost the enthusiasm for that much work!

Default Re: Atmos anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Anyone doing Atmos and liking it?

I have an Anthem 720, currently setup as 7.1. It has atmos features so I'm toying with how to try that out. My speakers are LR S2EX, Duo center, and Orb rears and sides.

I could move the rears to be high fronts or on top of my mains pointing up. I have a fairly low ceiling. I'm not sure if my amp can do 7.1 + atmos.

At one time I fantasized about speakers IN the ceiling but I lost the enthusiasm for that much work!
    From what I understand for the best Atmos experience you need those speakers in the ceiling, or at least mounted there.

The bouncy house speaker idea can work, but you have to have near perfect placement and a flat ceiling. How big are your orbs? Are they adjustable? Could they be mounted overhead?

The orbs are small and look like this: https://tinyurl.com/yavm7amq

The stands can be bent to aim them. Although my sides are on a floor stand and there are two mounted in parallel on each side.

They're fun little speakers for surrounds. Luna's didn't exist at the time. The room's too small for anything else. Plus my wife works in there these days.

The orbs are small and look like this: https://tinyurl.com/yavm7amq

The stands can be bent to aim them. Although my sides are on a floor stand and there are two mounted in parallel on each side.

They're fun little speakers for surrounds. Luna's didn't exist at the time. The room's too small for anything else. Plus my wife works in there these days.
    I'll bet they work great as surround speakers.

My thinking is if it's not too much work and they're small enough maybe mounting them right on the ceiling and pointing them down would work for you. Or mount them as high on the wall as you can right up to the ceiling and angle them in. I'm not sure tho, I don't have an Atmos setup. Just read up a little on them.

I s'pose it'd be easy enough to try out your idea, placing them in your mains and angling up to try and get that ceiling bounce. No harm in experimenting.

I could mount them high on the front wall. But it would be hard have them pointing down without recessing them into the ceiling. It's just too low a ceiling and the wires and such would look awful. I guess I'll try a few options and move the rears.

I've always felt the rears were a bit of a waste. Maybe mine rears aren't well placed but it's not a very dramatic effect.

I've got the MRX720 as well. Running ATMOS 5.1.4. I use HTM200's for the ATMOS speakers, mounted high up on the front and rear walls. My ceiling is trayed, so this is the best placement. I'd say they are around 10' high, angled down a bit and towards the MLP. Sounds really good.

If you do add ATMOS, I'd suggest front and rear to maximize the effect. When I was researching, that was the general conclusion. Bounce speakers may work ok depending on your room, but they were a distant third option whilst I was researching.

The MRX720 has options for height speaker placement (eg in ceiling, high on wall) so assume processing accounts for the location.

Note, you'll need at least 1 2-channel amp for 4 height speakers as the MRX720 can only do 5 bed channels (LRC RS, LS) and 1 pair of heights.

Excellent - thanks for this reply. My rears are already almost up by the ceiling, on top of bookshelves. I've been toying with drilling through the flat base of the Orb stand and mounting them to the ceiling and angling them down a bit

Maybe what I'll try first is moving them to front heights and see how it sounds. If I like it I'd buy another pair of orbs or two lunas and a small amp.

thx

Sounds like a good plan!

RAC, one more question re Anthem. How are you connecting and managing your sub? I'm using the sub output. But I'm not sure the settings coexist properly with the settings on my sub (one Rhythmic F12) which has its own cross over and level settings.

Thx!

RAC, one more question re Anthem. How are you connecting and managing your sub? I'm using the sub output. But I'm not sure the settings coexist properly with the settings on my sub (one Rhythmic F12) which has its own cross over and level settings.

Thx!
    You would set the Rythmik sub to AVR/12 switch(I think older amps had it labeled EXT/12), disable the sub amp's crossover(or turn it as high as it will go "120hz"). Turn off PEQ. I like high damping. Set the phase to 0, and set the proper distance on the Anthem. Set the volume level at 50% on the amp, and see how it Genesis/ARC likes it.
    -curtis