Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone interested in selling an S2 to upgrade to something else?!

Default anyone interested in selling an S2 to upgrade to something else?!

Probably shouldn't post a Wanted msg here. But I have a spare S2 center now that I've upgraded to the Duo. I also have the spare woofers and xovers from a 2EX upgrade (I didn't upgrade this one speaker)

So my brother just fried his ancient Ohm speakers. And he's a retired college prof and a cheap engineer and he isn't gonna buy new speakers no matter what! So I figured I'd buy him one and also give him my spare S2.

Even a blown out speaker would be OK as I have the woofers. Color doesn't matter.

PM me please

Thx!
    -Bill

Default Re: anyone interested in selling an S2 to upgrade to something else?!

By S2 I'm assuming you meant the Sierra 2 bookshelf? This is an odd request. One that I might even relate to. I'm using a Sierra 2 for my center channel right now and the other is sitting unused. My eventual goal is to get the Horizon center and use the S2s for surrounds, but that could be a while...

Hmm... a single upgraded S2 EX for a center channel...

I don't think it's so odd. I was in same situation when upgraded to the Towers + Duo from S2's across the front. Moved two S2's to surround duty. Had the center lying around. A few weeks ago, I saw a post by someone in a similar situation looking for a second S2. PM'ed him and wound up selling my extra.

My wife nixed using the spare S2 to swap for our sides or rears. We have these discrete little Orbs that are fine for surround duty and the space is smallish.

I had 3 LCR S2's but chose to upgrade only two to EX and then I'd decide to either upgrade the center as well or switch it to a Duo, which is the route I went - hence the spare S2.

My brother's like the original Maker. He can build or fix anything but he's slowing down and trying to avoid major projects. So I figured I'd complete a pair for him and send him nice speakers. Then maybe I can get him to fix my old tascam multi track. Took me 4 months to find replacement belts for it!
    Last edited by Blingleberry; 06-13-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I don't think it's so odd. I was in same situation when upgraded to the Towers + Duo from S2's across the front. Moved two S2's to surround duty. Had the center lying around. A few weeks ago, I saw a post by someone in a similar situation looking for a second S2. PM'ed him and wound up selling my extra.
    So you originally had 3 S2s across the front then upgraded to towers plus the duo center? Nice. Not a lot of folks use a book for their center. I get some "weirdo" comments sometimes, lol. I think if you have the room a matching bookshelf is a better center channel than a lot of the dedicated designs out there.

How do you like the duo? I've been eyeballing the Horizon for the better power handling and sensitivity because I sit so far from the front stage.
    Last edited by Pogre; 06-13-2020 at 08:27 AM.

BTW, if I can't get a working speaker, an enclosure and a raal tweeter would suffice and I'd use the leftovers from the EX upgrade.

Thx

Depending on the price I might be looking to sell my S2 center and move to a Duo. It’s in piano black though so not sure what finish you’re looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    So you originally had 3 S2s across the front then upgraded to towers plus the duo center? Nice. Not a lot of folks use a book for their center. I get some "weirdo" comments sometimes, lol. I think if you have the room a matching bookshelf is a better center channel than a lot of the dedicated designs out there.

How do you like the duo? I've been eyeballing the Horizon for the better power handling and sensitivity because I sit so far from the front stage.
    I really like the Duo. Nice upgrade from the S2 center in my system. Dialog is easier to hear. I considered the Horizon, but didn't have the space nor did I want to spend the extra money as I'm primarily music with an occasional movie every now and then.

I really like the Duo. Nice upgrade from the S2 center in my system. Dialog is easier to hear. I considered the Horizon, but didn't have the space nor did I want to spend the extra money as I'm primarily music with an occasional movie every now and then.
    My experience exactly. The duo fits better, sounds more clear, and there's less resonance inside the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    My experience exactly. The duo fits better, sounds more clear, and there's less resonance inside the cabinet.
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. The only thing that concerns me about the duo is sensitivity and power handling. I have room for the Horizon and it has the sensitivity and power handling I'm after, but I sure like the price of the duo much better, lol.