Thread: Ascend 340 review vs Axiom

Thumbs up Ascend 340 review vs Axiom

Hi: I am relatively new to the internet audio companys. I thought I would take the plunge and I ordered some axiom m22s. These are great speakers as many of you know. I however did not care for the upper end and thought the tweeter was a little harsh. Some call it detailed or what have you. I then came onto a forum and suggested the ascends. I dove in and got the 340 set up across the front. The difference was unbelievable. It was just as clear and detailed throughout the volume levels but up top, there was no listening fatigue as I had with the axioms. The 340c really rocks with HT as well. I knowing that maybe the 340s were not a fair matchup with the 22s ordered a set of m50s from axiom. I needless to say have never sent the ascends back. I even ordered 2 sets of the 170's to fill out my 7.1 surround set. I cannot be more happy and satisfied. Their customer service will eagerly answer all your questions without hesitation. I power my ascends with an HK receiver(pre ascends) and fill in the low end with a hsu stf-2.

I was surprised at the M22 at the Austin GTG. It was not as bright as I had expected but they were being powered by an Onix H34 tube amp. We had the same experience that they lost control of the upper end of the highs. I personally think the 170 is better than the M22. That said I think the M22 is a pretty good speaker for the money.

I'm just not a fan of metal tweeters. This is the only reason that I didn't add the axiom's to my audition list. I've had my hearing checked and I'm pretty deaf above 16Khz but for some reason, I can't "warm-up" to a "detailed" tweeter. It may be accurate but it appears the Ascend's don't sacrifice detail and I can listen to them for extended periods. My dislike of metal tweeters may be psychological but anything to do with sensory perception is going to have a large psychological component to it so why fight it.
    With the Ascend's, I get what I want without compromising my predjudices. I like that combination.

David

Default Thanks....

Hi krazyzx9,

Just wanted to say Thank You for the nice review and I am happy to hear you are enjoying the system!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Nice review Krazyzx9.

You near the twin cities?