Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra Ribbon Towers and Safe SPL

Default Re: Sierra Ribbon Towers and Safe SPL

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Please let us know what support tells you.
    Will do John. I sent it well into the weekend so I'm guessing I'll hear back sometime tomorrow. I just figured I'd start a thread here too, while waiting for a reply. I think part of the problem is that I'm used to forums with more traffic. On busier forums someone almost always comes along who understands your question(s).

I wonder if linking to a video of the excursion would be helpful.
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Here's my take: The more information I have, the better. Then I can make informed decisions to "adjust my thinking", tho what I'm really doing is adjusting my expectations (and possibly volume levels). Not sure what it is about my thinking that needs adjustment. I just want to protect my new speakers.

The speakers sound wonderful. The only thing detracting from my enjoyment is not knowing. I'm weird like that. I like to know stuff.
    OK, then I am mistaken. I thought the issue was the speakers not being able to played loud enough for you.

The "adjusting your thinking" was meant as address what you are comfortable with in regards to the use of the speakers, meaning just don't listen quite as loud.

Have you measured your max listening level with the SVS's vs the Ascends? You may have and I missed it.
    -curtis

Is an ‘alarming’ amount of excursion in the bass and mid drivers at high SPL considered normal if the sound is not distorted? Are they working as designed, and can the large amount of visible excursion simply be ignored?
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

I wonder if linking to a video of the excursion would be helpful.
    I thought about that! You might have just given me the nudge to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    OK, then I am mistaken. I thought the issue was the speakers not being able to played loud enough for you.

The "adjusting your thinking" was meant as address what you are comfortable with in regards to the use of the speakers, meaning just don't listen quite as loud.

Have you measured your max listening level with the SVS's vs the Ascends? You may have and I missed it.
    I have not measured, no. They are getting plenty loud. Loud enough for 99% of my listening. I'm only after those rare occasions where I'll let 'er rip for a special song or quite frankly, if I wanna show off a little bit. I have a friend with a pair of Salk SongBirds who hasn't been over yet.

Is an ‘alarming’ amount of excursion in the bass and mid drivers at high SPL considered normal if the sound is not distorted? Are they working as designed, and can the large amount of visible excursion simply be ignored?
    This is exactly what I mean! Thank you for wording it more understandably.

Yeah, a video would be interesting to see.

i’ve seen how much the woofers on the Tower work before full range, so your video with the speakers “small” and crossed at 80hz would be interesting. I’m also interested is seeing th midrange excursion.
    -curtis

Yeah, a video would be interesting to see.

i’ve seen how much the woofers on the Tower work before full range, so your video with the speakers “small” and crossed at 80hz would be interesting. I’m also interested is seeing th midrange excursion.
    This forum needs a "like" button, lol.

Okay, gimme a little bit and I'll get a video made and post it up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    This forum needs a "like" button, lol.

Okay, gimme a little bit and I'll get a video made and post it up here.
    Not to add any more work, but a slow mo video may be helpful too.
    -curtis

Not to add any more work, but a slow mo video may be helpful too.
    I'll try. I'm gonna upload it to YouTube. I'm not very prolific there, but I do have an account. You might be able to slow it down in YT settings, not sure. If not it'll give me something new to learn. If you don't hear back from me by tonight send out a search party, lol.