Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Sierra Ribbon Towers and Safe SPL

Default Re: Sierra Ribbon Towers and Safe SPL

Actually, I don't have a laptop good enough to run anything on at the moment.

I use a 2014 Mac Mini at home, updated with an SSD...runs like a champ. For work, we use Citrix, and it works great, so I opted not to get a laptop, or get a work issued laptop.

Even though my Mac Mini is fine, I have be lusting over a new Macbook Pro, and being able to use it anywhere.
    -curtis

Thanks for the link too!

Oh, and it's not lost on me that being inaccurate to the tune of -3 dB represents a big difference in power and really illustrates why you should always use an actual spl meter or a calibrated mic.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Actually, I don't have a laptop good enough to run anything on at the moment.

I use a 2014 Mac Mini at home, updated with an SSD...runs like a champ. For work, we use Citrix, and it works great, so I opted not to get a laptop, or get a work issued laptop.

Even though my Mac Mini is fine, I have be lusting over a new Macbook Pro, and being able to use it anywhere.
    I must have you confused with another reply. I have a thread on another forum too.

I use a tablet for almost everything now, Samsung/Android. I just never got pulled into the Apple ecosystem, but my wife has an iPhone and iPad. They're very nice quality and work really well. I have a not too old pc integrated with my entertainment stand and the aforementioned laptop for the oddball stuff I can't do with a tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    I must have you confused with another reply. I have a thread on another forum too.

I use a tablet for almost everything now, Samsung/Android. I just never got pulled into the Apple ecosystem, but my wife has an iPhone and iPad. They're very nice quality and work really well. I have a not too old pc integrated with my entertainment stand and the aforementioned laptop for the oddball stuff I can't do with a tablet.
    My background is in IT. Nowadays in project management.

I still use a PC for work. At home, I became rooted in the Apple ecosystem when I got the Mac Mini.

I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. Liked it, used it for some stuff, but ultimately I stopped using it. I just gave it to my Dad who needed a new PC...he's thrilled. My GF is a Windows person, but she has an iPhone and an iPad.
    -curtis

I'm not a big Apple fan although I do have two iPhones (1 work, 1 personal). A couple of years ago, I did buy an inexpensive laptop, mainly to run ARC as it was a pain to pull the PC out of the office and bring to the tv/music room to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Okay, I just measured 94.7 dB at my seat (15' from speakers) with the volume setting at "0". Just round up to 95 dB and by my (very rough) calculations I should be hitting that with 35 watts and gives me about 8 dB headroom before reaching my amp's limits.

It's still a lot more than I realized, but I feel a little bit better. I'm pretty confident I haven't pushed it into clipping, tho still flirting with limits and exceeding safe listening levels for extended periods.

Do my power calculations sound about right, or am I missing anything?
    Hi Pogre,

Was this using an SPL meter or an app on your phone? I have found my iPhone to be very inaccurate with regard to SPL measurements.

If 95dB is accurate, assuming this is from both speakers, your math is accurate and I would say this volume level is very safe.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I see several issues with that meter.......

1. It is only "A" weighted, no ability to set it to "C" weighting. "C" weighting measures closest to how we hear.

2. It only does Fast response. Slow response will give a better average picture of the sound level.

If you ever wish to do any sort of room response measurements you will want the "C" weighting with slow response.
    This is correct.

A-weighting is recommended for measuring SPL for safe hearing levels but since it does not properly measure low frequencies, it is not recommended when measuring loudspeakers in order to estimate how much power is being used.

I do recommend using an SPL meter with C-weighting and peak/max hold SPL measurements. Some higher end models even offer self-calibration.

Extech makes excellent meters:

http://www.extech.com/categories/sou...s/sound-meters
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Just to update you guys, I've been busy with rearranging. Particularly my right speaker. Before running any kind of setup or eq I took many, many sweeps and as I was already aware of, there's big, big null on the right. I found a spot 6" more to the right that gave me back about 3 or 4 dB, which isn't a ton, but it was enough for XT32 to do a much, much better job!

06-22-20 multeq only_copy_615x249.jpg

That is with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 only. No tweaking with the app or my mini. That said, I made some improvements from there with the aforementioned programs.

06-22-20 final fr_copy_615x249.jpg

That's as good a bass response as I think I've ever had! That's with both subs and main speakers with a 90 hz crossover, more on that later. After I get that nice, flat response I switch my subs to EQ2, pull the port plug and turn on DEQ, RLO 10 and let Audyssey handle the house curve.

06-22-20 house curve_copy_615x249.jpg

That's where I do most of my music listening. Which is most of my listening. That's not it tho, I have other options thanks to DEQ. I've been asked about the effects of DEQ quite often so made a couple more charts to illustrate.

06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ1_copy_615x261.jpg

06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ2_copy_615x261.jpg

So that's what I spent all of last weekend doing! Those last couple charts are a pretty good illustration of the effects of DEQ and the RLO settings. It also shows the effects of EQ1 and EQ2 with HSUs VTF series of subs. I scooted my MLP about a foot closer, calibrated with a 90 hz crossover and my new Sierras are behaving very well, sound absolutely stunning and are getting plenty loud enough for my tastes.

I just wanted to share my final results and offer a li'l update to let you guys know I'm not curled up in a ball in the corner with melted speakers and blood running out of my ears, lol. I appreciate all of the patience and advice I was given here, took it all to heart and made significant changes along with some improvements. I do believe I'm keeping these. Now for the hard part... putting the Ultras up for sale. Man I love those speakers too, but there's only room (and money!) for one of them...