Thread: CBM-170SE vs. CMT 340SE center

Default CBM-170SE vs. CMT 340SE center

I have 3 CBM 170SE for LCR. I was thinking of moving the center to side surround and getting another one for the other side surround and then getting a CMT 340SE for center. What difference will I notice with the CMT as center?

Default Re: CBM-170SE vs. CMT 340SE center

Quote Originally Posted by moe53 View Post
    I have 3 CBM 170SE for LCR. I was thinking of moving the center to side surround and getting another one for the other side surround and then getting a CMT 340SE for center. What difference will I notice with the CMT as center?
    I will suggest a different option: the HTM 200 as a center. Here’s why. As a center it has the tweeter elevated over the two woofers, so it will have better horizontal dispersion and it will be symmetrical dispersion. The output will nicely match the CBM 170’s as well.

I started another thread where I’m considering CMT 340s as mains, HTM 200s as surrounds and then asking about the difference between the CMT 340 and HTM 200s as a center. I’m leaning heavily towards the HTM 200 for a center, because it will have a very wide seating arrangement and I want to ensure good dialog I intelligibility in all seats. I don’t think I need the output of the CMT 340s, at my listening levels and distances, though it would be nice to have them in the mains, which can be hit harder with bass and output during movies and TV.

Quote Originally Posted by moe53 View Post
    CMT-340 center has a warmer more musical sound compared to the CBM-170. It also offers improved dynamics, sounds fuller, especially with male vocals. It is the recommended center for use with 170's as left/right speakers - that is what it was originally designed for.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    CMT-340 center has a warmer more musical sound compared to the CBM-170. It also offers improved dynamics, sounds fuller, especially with male vocals. It is the recommended center for use with 170's as left/right speakers - that is what it was originally designed for.
    Excellent. I have the 340 on order and the a 170 is coming this week to complete my side surrounds. I look forward to getting them. Thanks Dave.