Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Result of Improper Orientation of Sierra Tower Grilles

Default Re: Result of Improper Orientation of Sierra Tower Grilles

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    How did you manage that? On my Towers (with peg grilles), can only go on one way for all pegs to fit..
    Just carelessness....had them off for the longest time. Placed the first one on snapped right into place...second one was like wth....followed by a big oops.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

All towers shipping as of today will have this small label on the back of the grille.

IMG_9360.jpg

It is completely invisible from the front.

Really appreciate the feedback on this!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    All towers shipping as of today will have this small label on the back of the grille.

IMG_9360.jpg

That's awesome Dave. Even an idiot like me won't mess it up now, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post

IMG_9360.jpg

I didn’t want mine taped to the fabric, nor did I want the tape adhesive possibly interacting with the finish. I just used a simple label maker a few months ago and trimmed (not pretty, I know).

Funny how we came up with an almost identical design independently.

44B53D52-A72D-4841-9B85-977AE367F945.jpeg
    Last edited by John Galt; 06-21-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    I can believe it's never been brought to Dave's attention before. You have to admit you're a dumbass in order to talk about it... lol.
    Great that you brought this up, saved a lot of us fellow dumbasses from the same thing! Many thanks!

I was playing around with Sierra Tower room placement today, took the grills off and noticed one of the magnetic grilles was on upside down too!! Not sure for how long, but there was no indentation in the surround just a little dust mark which was hard to even see. It was then that I noticed the TOP sticker on the back indicating orientation. I have to say I like John Galt solution with different polarities top and bottom. My experience is that if it CAN happen, it WILL happen. I did a search to see if anyone else had this issue and here I am. This little issue notwithstanding, I have had these Towers for about 9 months now and love them more everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlucci View Post
    I was playing around with Sierra Tower room placement today, took the grills off and noticed one of the magnetic grilles was on upside down too!! Not sure for how long, but there was no indentation in the surround just a little dust mark which was hard to even see. It was then that I noticed the TOP sticker on the back indicating orientation. I have to say I like John Galt solution with different polarities top and bottom. My experience is that if it CAN happen, it WILL happen. I did a search to see if anyone else had this issue and here I am. This little issue notwithstanding, I have had these Towers for about 9 months now and love them more everyday.
    Perhaps we should include a small note with the speakers regarding this? The problem with using different polarity on the top and bottom, and I have already discussed with our cabinet maker, is that if the production crew makes a mistake, there goes an entire cabinet. With using different polarities for the magnets, the chances of one of the guys inserting the magnet wrong is significantly higher.

With our cabinets, because there is no veneer, the magnets are inserted into the front baffle from behind and then epoxied in. A magnet installed with the wrong polarity, if not immediately caught, means that cabinet is now useless.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

IMO, makes sense to minimize the risk of scraping an entire cabinet if the production crew makes a mistake with inserting a magnet. A note with the speaker, either separate or in the manual, should suffice.

I was trying to think of a way to "key" the grill and the cabinet in a way that would not allow them to orient any other way than the right way. I am not sure if this is plausible, but what if the bottom magnets were moved up between the two woofers. If someone tried to apply the grill upside down it would not stay - in other words offset the magnet locations top and bottom thus providing that keying. Just a thought. I just know that no matter how you detail something like this people will miss it somehow (haste, lack of attention, fatigue, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by jimlucci View Post
    I was trying to think of a way to "key" the grill and the cabinet in a way that would not allow them to orient any other way than the right way. I am not sure if this is plausible, but what if the bottom magnets were moved up between the two woofers. If someone tried to apply the grill upside down it would not stay - in other words offset the magnet locations top and bottom thus providing that keying. Just a thought. I just know that no matter how you detail something like this people will miss it somehow (haste, lack of attention, fatigue, etc).
    This is something we are looking into. As it stands now, the magnets are not symmetrical from top to bottom. When put on upside down, only 4 of the 6 magnets make contact - but, obviously, even with 4 making contact it is still enough to secure the grille.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com