Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Result of Improper Orientation of Sierra Tower Grilles

Default Re: Result of Improper Orientation of Sierra Tower Grilles

Glad to hear, Pogre.
    Checked my Tower grills (non-magnetic) - luckily not possible to put them on upside down. One less thing to worry about!

My biggest concern is putting them on hastily at night, and accidentally leaving them on incorrectly for months or years.
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

Thanks for bringing this up! We have been selling the towers with magnetic grilles for about a year now and this is the first time this has ever been mentioned to us. I like the idea of a small sticker on the back indicating "up" or "top" - that should work well I think.

We used to have logos on the grilles but the vast majority of our customers preferred the cleaner "logoless" look so we stopped using them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I really think that the magnet polarity should be oriented in such a way that the grilles can’t be put on upside down, or a grille logo, or grilles that are unidirectional.
    That is a good idea but from a manufacturing standpoint, an impossibility. Switching to magnetic grilles using bamboo cabinets was both challenging and expensive to implement. Typically, with magnetic grilles - either metal or magnets are installed into the front baffle from the front, and then covered with veneer. Since we don't use a veneer, we had to work out a method to install 6 magnets into the front baffle from behind, into holes that are about 1/4" deep into the bamboo so as to not damage the structural integrity of the bamboo. In order to have enough magnetic strength with the neo magnets not flush to the front baffle, we had to also insert magnets into the grilles.

If our cabinet maker tries to, for example, install (2) magnets on the bottom in reverse polarity, and then install (2) bottom magnets in the grille in reverse polarity - one polarity mistake and there goes the entire cabinet. Once the cabinet is assembled, getting to the front baffle magnets is impossible. Something like this would dramatically increase our costs.

We also can't have unidirectional grilles because with magnetic grilles, we had to add additional bracing to the grille frame as there is no longer any support given to the frame previously provided by the grille post inserts. We added the cross-bracing in the only possible locations.

Frankly, I am surprised the grilles stayed on upside down as only 2 pairs of magnets will line up properly in this position (instead of 3 pairs). In our original test samples, the grilles slid off when placed upside down but it could vary based on the different cabinet finishes - something I did not test for.

I think the overall best solution is a sticker on the back.

Thoughts?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,
    I think the sticker on the back is an effective and cost-efficient solution.

Sticker sounds fine, I bet Pogre wont need a sticker, he'll remember next time lol!

Quote Originally Posted by audiohead View Post
    Sticker sounds fine, I bet Pogre wont need a sticker, he'll remember next time lol!
    You got that right!

I can believe it's never been brought to Dave's attention before. You have to admit you're a dumbass in order to talk about it... lol.

The sticker was a stop-gap for me. I sometimes feel compelled to make sure that I didn’t install the grilles upside down in haste.

IMO the best solution involves magnet polarity, or magnet re-arrangement so that it’s simply impossible to install incorrectly. Of course none of that will affect me since there’s no way to retrofit an existing speaker to this configuration.
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

Quote Originally Posted by audiohead View Post
    We are implementing this immediately.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Ha....my tower covers are non magnetic and come with the pegs. And yes...sir....I've placed them back incorrectly... thankfully....with this version.... they're 99.9 % idiot proof...

Doh...there is always(one) exception to the rule
    Last edited by billy p; 06-18-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Ha....my tower covers are non magnetic and come with the pegs. And yes...sir....I've placed them back incorrectly... thankfully....with this version.... they're 99.9 % idiot proof...

Doh...there is always(one) exception to the rule
    How did you manage that? On my Towers (with peg grilles), can only go on one way for all pegs to fit..