Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Result of Improper Orientation of Sierra Tower Grilles

Default Result of Improper Orientation of Sierra Tower Grilles

Can lead to possible damage! Okay first off, my dumb ass put the grilles on my towers upside down last night, so user error for sure. However, when I woke up this morning and took them off I was pretty bummed to see this.

462_copy_640x480.jpeg

That was taken a couple of hours ago and it's just about back to 100% normal now, but I'm sure you guys can imagine my first reaction this morning. The way they're cut, to me, it's a little bit confusing as to which side is up. Guaranteed I won't confuse it again, but I could see it happening to others.

I've owned lots of speakers and have never run into this issue before. I've accidentally put grilles on upside down, but never had it cause any physical damage. I think a badge at the bottom would be a good good solution that wouldn't require a redesign or something. Anyone else run into this?
    Last edited by Pogre; 06-05-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Default Re: Result of Improper Orientation of Sierra Tower Grilles

I had this EXACT SAME problem. I even ran my first Audyssey with the grilles on upside down.

I ended up putting a sticker on the back of the grilles saying ‘UP!’. I really think that the magnet polarity should be oriented in such a way that the grilles can’t be put on upside down, or a grille logo, or grilles that can be installed in either vertical orientation.
    Last edited by John Galt; 12-13-2021 at 06:16 AM.
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

AHHhhhh...my heart just missed a beat! I ran and checked mine, all good, PHEW! I can easily see how that happened.

Maybe a small sweet ascend logo could be next in line for the grill? I'm sure each of us would be willing to test a few samples out
    I think i would put a shout out for Dave on this?

P.S. i hear there is a road trip to Arizona in the works ;-) LOL!

heck, i bet they will sound even better now
    Last edited by audiohead; 06-05-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by audiohead View Post
    AHHhhhh...my heart just missed a beat! I ran and checked mine, all good, PHEW! I can easily see how that happened.

Maybe a small sweet ascend logo could be next in line for the grill? I'm sure each of us would be willing to test a few samples out
    I think i would put a shout out for Dave on this?

P.S. i hear there is a road trip to Arizona in the works ;-) LOL!

heck, i bet they will sound even better now
    Ha! Well, they've bounced back completely from what I can tell. The dent is gone now, but I was crapping my pants this morning.

I like the logo idea and think that'd be a pretty easy fix. Maybe I can finagle some free badges from Dina..?

i'm sure they will be just fine. I certainly don't think it was your fault.
    set down with a relaxing drink and enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by audiohead View Post
    i'm sure they will be just fine. I certainly don't think it was your fault.
    set down with a relaxing drink and enjoy them.
    Oh yeah. The initial panic is gone now and I'm all settled down, lol. I do think it's worth exploring some options so it doesn't happen to others like myself and John above there tho.

I don't wanna make a big stink, I'm not angry, I absolutely love these towers.

Some badges for the grilles would be kinda cool tho...

I just pinged Dave in a pm too and brought it to his attention.

Sorry that happened but glad it seems to be ok. My Towers don't have the magnetic grilles. I'll have to check to see if they can be put on upside down. If so, I'll add my name to the logo list :-)

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Sorry that happened but glad it seems to be ok. My Towers don't have the magnetic grilles. I'll have to check to see if they can be put on upside down. If so, I'll add my name to the logo list :-)
    On the scale of audio disasters this ranks pretty low on the Richter scale. I'm happy to report what appears to be a full recovery!

470_copy_640x480.jpeg

Looks none the worse for wear now.

Glad to see no permanent damage. I have put my S2 grills on upside down in the past. Fortunately, no damage of any kind. I noticed that in the proper orientation the grill goes all the way to the top of the speaker. Whereas, if installed upside down, there's about a quarter inch gap at the top. Not sure if that works for the tower.