Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decided to Upgrade (By Accident!)

Default Re: Decided to Upgrade (By Accident!)

Nice evaluation report. Can you tell us what your amplification is? And are you using a hi-pass filter with these at all.? If so, what frequency are you set at?

I was reading previous posts by Dave who said that if you drive the EX full range with plenty of low frequency content, the woofers can hit x-max quickly. I'm worried that in a 2 channel system with no Hi pass crossover that I might push these too hard.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Nice evaluation report. Can you tell us what your amplification is? And are you using a hi-pass filter with these at all.? If so, what frequency are you set at?

I was reading previous posts by Dave who said that if you drive the EX full range with plenty of low frequency content, the woofers can hit x-max quickly. I'm worried that in a 2 channel system with no Hi pass crossover that I might push these too hard.
    Thanks.
    I have the same concerns with the towers, tbh. In fact I think I'm gonna start a thread...

Thanks.
    Well, I am using an older receiver (Yamaha V867) and I normally listen at -16 to -21 (depending on content). I have had no problems at all driving these speakers and they continue to amaze me each time I use them. I don't know exactly what a hi-pass filter is and I have the speakers crossed over at 80Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    Well, I am using an older receiver (Yamaha V867) and I normally listen at -16 to -21 (depending on content). I have had no problems at all driving these speakers and they continue to amaze me each time I use them. I don't know exactly what a hi-pass filter is and I have the speakers crossed over at 80Hz.
    Thanks Omerone.
    So crossing over at 80Hz IS your hi pass filter. It means that frequencies below 80Hz are directed to your subwoofer and NOT to your main speakers.

If you had just a preamp and amp for 2 channel music, this would not be possible (well, not easily anyhow)

Thanks Omerone.
    So crossing over at 80Hz IS your hi pass filter. It means that frequencies below 80Hz are directed to your subwoofer and NOT to your main speakers.

If you had just a preamp and amp for 2 channel music, this would not be possible (well, not easily anyhow)
    Unless you have a preamp with a hi pass filter built in such as my Parasound Halo P5, which has both hi and low pass filters in the analog domain, so no digital processing.

Otherwise as Qman pointed out, you would have to get creative with most preamps. The MiniDSP seems to be a popular method of adding crossovers, though that can get a little pricey, but you are also getting room correction with that.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I gotta say, I think a good mid range AVR is a great solution that offers bass management and room correction. I believe "AVRs aren't good for music" is largely unfounded, especially if you're using it as a preamp for a separate amplifier.

Denon/Marantz have a feature in some of their models where you can disconnect the preamp from the AVR internal amp section by reassigning the preout to "front" for your main speakers. I'm not savvy enough to explain in detail, but basically reassigning the preouts results in a higher preout voltage and SINAD.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.12676/

The 3600 outperformed more expensive dedicated prepros! Amir is absolutely brutal with his observations and comments so to see him praise something is very rare. I have a Marantz SR6011 that can do this little trick too. Gene over at Audioholics is who discovered this and brought it to D&M's attention so they're including this feature in some of the new models coming out later this year!

https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...se-has.118371/
    Last edited by Pogre; 06-11-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Unless you have a preamp with a hi pass filter built in such as my Parasound Halo P5, which has both hi and low pass filters in the analog domain, so no digital processing.

Otherwise as Qman pointed out, you would have to get creative with most preamps. The MiniDSP seems to be a popular method of adding crossovers, though that can get a little pricey, but you are also getting room correction with that.
    Or you can try something like this:
    https://www.parts-express.com/harris...s-rca--266-270

Or you can try something like this:
    https://www.parts-express.com/harris...s-rca--266-270
    I have never seen those before! Have you ever tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    I gotta say, I think a good mid range AVR is a great solution that offers bass management and room correction. I believe "AVRs aren't good for music" is largely unfounded, especially if you're using it as a preamp for a separate amplifier.

Denon/Marantz have a feature in some of their models where you can disconnect the preamp from the AVR internal amp section by reassigning the preout to "front" for your main speakers. I'm not savvy enough to explain in detail, but basically reassigning the preouts results in a higher preout voltage and SINAD.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.12676/

The 3600 outperformed more expensive dedicated prepros! Amir is absolutely brutal with his observations and comments so to see him praise something is very rare. I have a Marantz SR6011 that can do this little trick too. Gene over at Audioholics is who discovered this and brought it to D&M's attention so they're including this feature in some of the new models coming out later this year!

https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...se-has.118371/
    Understand fully Pogre. I have an older Pioneer receiver with Pre-outs. However, Ive also got a nice Bryston integrated and a hi-powered Cinepro amp that are collecting dust.

Understand fully Pogre. I have an older Pioneer receiver with Pre-outs. However, Ive also got a nice Bryston integrated and a hi-powered Cinepro amp that are collecting dust.
    Ah, gotcha. I'd want to use them too.