Thread: My BFD arrived today and......

Default My BFD arrived today and......

My Behringer Feedback Destroyer arrived today but before I use it I have to find the best place to position the sub. I have make test tones from here:

http://www.snapbug.ws/sinewaves/

My sub is the Dayton 10" that I bought for $99. from Parts Express. I'm having some difficulty finding a place that the sub will have a decent response curve before EQ. I'm curious to know if the response curve would be much different with different subs. I do plan to upgrade the sub at some point but I'd like to keep the Dayton for now. My next purchase will be the 340C and then I want to upgrade my two channel system in my study before the new sub.
    I know a number of you have gone to better subs. Did you keep the same location and were there different response curves (non-EQ'ed).

Thanks,
    David

How are you measuring the response curves? The most common method appears to be using a RadioShack SPL meter (I have one), but even with the 'correction factors' I don't trust it to be very accurate for measuring response (and I have heard others who do measurement agree). Unfortunately, getting something better increases the cost greatly. I'm still hoping to see someone come out with an inexpensive setup designed for audio enthusiaists to do basic measurements.

That aside, there is not reason to expect the response to be the same in the same place. In particular, the phase for the output may be different and that will change where the nodes are in the room (plus the response varies depending on where you are measuring).

Yes, I'm using the RS meter with the corrections factored in. I'll probably just find the best spot that my wife will tolerate, apply the BFD and see what happens. It looks like playing with the BFD should provide weeks worth of entertainment.
    Thanks, Brad.

David

Brad,
    What did you find with the RatShack meter? Was the sound good at 80hz, then dropped off to nothing at 30hz? Or was the curve bumpy... for instance, high at 80hz, low at 60hz, high at 40hz, etc.

Did you see a big difference when you moved to different points in the room?