Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi from Seattle - Ascend Sierra Tower NRT & Sierra 2-EX RAAL currently in audition

Default Re: Hi from Seattle - Ascend Sierra Tower NRT & Sierra 2-EX RAAL currently in auditio

Andrew,
    Are you getting a Sierra-1 or a Sierra-1NRT?
    -curtis

Default Re: Hi from Seattle - Ascend Sierra Tower NRT & Sierra 2-EX RAAL currently in auditio

Quote Originally Posted by ajhudson View Post
    Setting up 4 speakers in the living room

- Setup A (for music only)

- Setup B (for music / movies)

I will run only A or B speakers, never both.
    Oh...wow...I was way off.

Is there a reason setup B couldn't be the only setup, thus upping the budget?
    -curtis

Red face UDPATE 11 MAY - Hi from Seattle - Ascend Sierra Tower NRT & Sierra 2-EX RAAL audition

Hi all,

I would like to recommend that anyone considering an Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower or Sierra 2-EX give them an audition.

I expect to add the Sierra 1 to this list.

• These speakers are a marvel of audio engineering. Dave's expertise and attention to the listener experience are evident.
    • Ascend is a US company, with global partnerships. If we choose to support our US companies, we will all be better off.
    • Shipping was quick.
    • Packaging is superior, with speakers well protected from shipping damage.
    • Dina is a joy to work with. Professional, helpful, and responsive.
    • Dave took a moment to chat with me regarding speakers, which I appreciate.
    • The cabinets are superior quality. Truly impressive. Speakers have considerable heft, and feel very solid.
    • The SOUND. The crux of the matter -- these speakers must be heard to appreciate.

~Best regards,

Andrew
    Last edited by ajhudson; 05-11-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Andrew,
    Are you getting a Sierra-1 or a Sierra-1NRT?
    Curtis,

Sierra-1 NRT on order. I've considered to order the standard 1 also just to know (the name of science, and all)...

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I wouldn't call it settling for an NRT. I think alot will depend on what type of music you listen to primarily. When I originally bought my S2's, I spoke with Dina about this. As I recall, for rock/metal, she preferred the NRT. This is my primary genre of music, although also listen to jazz and classical.

I've moved on to the Towers with RAAL (S2's now in surround duty) due to the dedicated midrange primarily and, secondly, the better efficiency. I am primarily music.

I had considered suggesting the S1's for your bedroom, but as they weren't on your initial list, didn't. These could always be upgraded to S2EXs, I believe.

If you do compare the Towers, S2EX, and S1's, I'll be looking forward to your impressions.
    Thanks for this,

Dina shared similar sentiments on NRT when we spoke also.

And yes, lists.. we only know what we know! Sierra 1 came onto the radar a bit later -- It's always OK to pop a new model onto someone's list -- I'm glad you mentioned it.

I appreciate the note, and will update this with impressions after some listening.

** Just curious -- for 'surround duty' -- what frequency range do your S2's now respond to? How much signal?

~Thanks,

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Oh...wow...I was way off.

Is there a reason setup B couldn't be the only setup, thus upping the budget?
    Yes, the reason is that I enjoy stereo L / R soundstage experience enough that for the 2 sit positions, on adjacent walls (not across from each other -- at 90-degrees from each other).

A - couch (can seat 3)
    B - chair (can seat 1)

I would like to have appropriate audio setup in each location.

If I chose a single B, then my listening would truly be 1 side (left ear only) while I am seated at the couch.

If I chose a single A, then my listening would truly be 1 side (right ear only) while I am seated at the chair.

Plus, I feel that my auditioning constraint of $2k gives me a real sense of focus to determine where my audio preferences are.

I don't feel a need to stretch the budget further for a speaker set yet (on Monday 11 MAY) - however this may change with the listening experience.

Thanks,

-Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    For Set-up A, I'd go for the Towers (you're sitting further and these speakers are more sensitive). I've not heard the NRT tweeter, but I'd probably stretch the budget a bit and get the RAALs. Since you mentioned you don't upgrade frequently, this would be Ascends' top of the line and you won't have that "what if" question.

For Set-up B and Bedroom, I think the EX's would be fine. You may be able to even use S2's in the bedroom if you want to save some money.
    I appreciate this input, and have seen many similar comments from others in previous forum posts regarding upgrading to RAAL due to it being the flagship product.

Because I do understand the risk of being in a "what if..." position with regards to an upgrade, I also want to firsthand experience both tweeters to determine for myself what the relative characteristics are in my listening areas.

Questions on my mind as I listen this week:

- Am I "settling" for an NRT, as many posts seem to indicate? The Sierra 1 is a well-awarded design?

- Is an NRT a technology whose qualities have simply been outmatched by ribbon designs?

- How does NRT sound, as objectively as possible, to me, and does the RAAL tweeter create a compelling upgrade option for the towers I have?

Because I have both NRT and ribbon speakers in my space, I think I will be able to comment personally on these topics, in case others can benefit from my ability to listen to both.

Regarding budget:

- For many people, an Ascend speaker of any model = "stretching the budget"

- Ascend has offerings at multiple price points, and I have to believe there are compelling design merits to each that listeners would benefit from hearing personally

- My budget would love to be $1500 - however stretched to $2000 to enable this test

** Update

I am actually also going to include a Sierra - 1 speaker in this test to see if I *must* spend $2000 to find an ideal sound for my bedroom space.

Thanks,

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Since you'll be listening at moderate volumes and your room isn't overly large, I'd suggest the Sierra-2EX. Will you be adding a subwoofer? You could add a Rythmik L12 and still stay close to your budget. It will really fill in the lower few octaves and blend seamlessly.
    Hi Nate,

A sub is unlikely for the time being -- looking for full range speaker experience.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks for this,

Dina shared similar sentiments on NRT when we spoke also.

And yes, lists.. we only know what we know! Sierra 1 came onto the radar a bit later -- It's always OK to pop a new model onto someone's list -- I'm glad you mentioned it.

I appreciate the note, and will update this with impressions after some listening.

** Just curious -- for 'surround duty' -- what frequency range do your S2's now respond to? How much signal?

~Thanks,

Andrew
    No worries, Andrew.

Not 100% sure what you are asking in your last question. I guess signal & frequency range is depending on how the source is mixed (or processed). I'm mainly music (2.1) with the occasional movie in surround.

Yes, the reason is that I enjoy stereo L / R soundstage experience enough that for the 2 sit positions, on adjacent walls (not across from each other -- at 90-degrees from each other).

A - couch (can seat 3)
    B - chair (can seat 1)

I would like to have appropriate audio setup in each location.

If I chose a single B, then my listening would truly be 1 side (left ear only) while I am seated at the couch.

If I chose a single A, then my listening would truly be 1 side (right ear only) while I am seated at the chair.

Plus, I feel that my auditioning constraint of $2k gives me a real sense of focus to determine where my audio preferences are.

I don't feel a need to stretch the budget further for a speaker set yet (on Monday 11 MAY) - however this may change with the listening experience.

Thanks,

-Andrew
    That makes sense, and having two systems in the same room may be the best solution for you. In my experience, if the music is background noise, it sounds great coming from two speakers no matter which way I'm facing. It even sounds good in adjacent rooms. Having one 'serious' listening position works well for me. I have a bike trainer set up in my listening room but it has to face to the side. I will usually set the receiver to all channels stereo, to use all 5 of my speakers and to fill the room with sound.
    Nate