Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just Placed My Order

Default Re: Just Placed My Order

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    crap...my contact couldn't get to both of them.
    Scratched my head over this post for a second, then I remembered you sent your Fast n Furious crew after my new speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Scratched my head over this post for a second, then I remembered you sent your Fast n Furious crew after my new speakers!
    Ha!
    I’m just jealous. Thinking about when I’ll order the 2EX upgrade kits.
    My 2’s have been sounding fabulous.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Ha!
    I’m just jealous. Thinking about when I’ll order the 2EX upgrade kits.
    My 2’s have been sounding fabulous.
    See Dave through out a challenge in the Tower discussion thread -- maybe he'll put those 2EX upgrade kits up as a prize :-)

They look so small compared to the Ultras! They sure don't sound small tho!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spent part of the day yesterday dialing my subs in. Really happy with my results. I'm +/- 1.5 dB from 95 hz to 15 Hz right now! There's still some work to do, but my main focus yesterday was bass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks awesome! Cant wait to hear (read) your comparison of the towers vs the Ultras.
    Last edited by Qman; 06-05-2020 at 06:28 AM.

Nice set up!

ill second that! I'm still drooling over the receiver and amp! DANG! I know why i got such a steal on my receiver now, no pre outs for an amp. I'd love to have just your Marantz :-)
    on the list...
    I too can't wait to hear your comparison of the towers vs the Ultras.

Thanks guys. I've had that same setup for quite a while now. In fact I felt like I was pretty set until I got a taste of the Sierra 2s and upgraditis hit me hard.

Listening I've determined so far that these are more forward than the Ultras for sure, which I do like. They don't slam with you bass the way the Ultras can, but they don't seem to have any trouble pressurizing the room. Nice n smooth. They sound great with or without the subs and that's something I've had issues with the Ultras since I got them. I really think even tho my room is pretty big there still wasn't quite enough room for the Ultras to really do their best. I couldn't get them out into the room any more without getting into traffic flow.

I'm still adjusting to the new look. The Ultras definitely make a bigger, flashier visual statement and I'd be lying if I said that's not part of their appeal for me (and my wife, believe it or not... she misses the visual impact of the Ultras too!). This is audio tho, and sq ranks above aesthetics in my book and my wife and I both like the sound of the Sierras, even if we're unable to put a finger exactly on it.

As far as dynamic range these new towers seem to have more than enough where it counts. When crossed over to the subs they sound every bit as capable as the Ultras. Even full range they're no joke, but that is where the Ultras pull ahead. The Sierras have no problems filling the room with decent bass, but the Ultras are definitely more capable of rattling the room, push come to shove. I hardly ever got into that tho, because I'm always using my subs so the deeper extension of the Ultras was going to waste anyway.

I've gotten pretty good using REW and the mini to dial my bass in and I feel like I wanna tackle the rest of the FR using the app with ratbuddyssey. If I can get that figured out and get good results I might pull the mini altogether. I shot Peng (a friend at Audioholics) a pm to see if he's available to help get me started. I managed to get ratbuddyssey downloaded and pulled up my ady file on it, but that's as far as I got. I have no idea what I'm doing after that!

Oh, imaging. Holy crap do these towers have precise imaging! It's so good I'm thinking about going phantom mode and use my Sierra 2s as surrounds.

Would love to hear your setup Pogre. Can you tell me how is the sweet spot with the Raals? When you stand up, move around, or perhaps lay down on the couch do you lose enough hi end to wish you had the dispersion of the domes?
    Thanks