Thread: New from Ohio

Default New from Ohio

Hello:
    Used to be into Hi-end Audio, but kind of melted out of it due to hearing changes (57 yrs old) and other factors. Now we are remodeling the HT room and I want to get some quality small L+C+R fronts. I have already installed a nice sounding set of Focal 100 ICW 6 ceiling rears. Room is 15 x 21 x 8. Trying to decide between the CMT340s and the Sierra 1s. I will be pairing with a Legacy Pacemaker Sub, and Pioneer receiver (for now).

Thanks
    Qman.

Default Re: New from Ohio

Welcome Q, nice to see a fellow Ohioan around here!

I'd say for max HT level dynamics & SPL, the CMT340's would fit the bill. If you listen at more sane levels and want a more detailed sound the Sierra-1's get the nod.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Welcome Q, nice to see a fellow Ohioan around here!

I'd say for max HT level dynamics & SPL, the CMT340's would fit the bill. If you listen at more sane levels and want a more detailed sound the Sierra-1's get the nod.
    Thanks Ed.
    Normally don't listen at very hi levels. Main concerns are; Are the Sierras too revealing to use a low end source like my old Pioneer receiver (Vsx-D812). (I do have a Bryston amp i could use for the front L+R, since the receiver does have main pre-outs)

And, will I lose much mid-upper bass fullness by going to less than half the woofer area, compared to the CMT340s?

Thanks

Welcome, QMan.

The 340 is a fine speaker. My brother has a pair and they sound very good.

However, they are not the equal of the Sierra-1.

As someone who owns or has heard everything in the Ascend lineup (except, oddly, the regular Lunas), I think there are three "sweet spots" in the Ascend lineup in terms of price/performance: the HTM-200, the Sierra-1, and the Sierra-2 EX. No disrespect to the 340, the S2, and the Towers but for all of those I think there's better value either going up or down one step in the lineup.

I think the HTM-200s is a woefully under-appreciated speaker. I have a pair of these in the kitchen that I listen to when I'm making dinner and every time I turn them on I cannot believe they cost only $300. IMO they sound every bit as good as the 340s, except they don't go very low. Since you have a subwoofer, not really an issue. If you want more or less the same sound as the 340s for 60% of the price of the 340, get these. (Plus they're sealed so no issue with where to put the port.) For two-channel music with no sub the upgrade to the 340s might be worth it but for HT I would stick with these.

On the other hand, if you want to go up a notch, I think the Sierra-1 is a better speaker than the 340 in pretty much every way other than efficiency; the 340s do play louder per watt but that's not a big deal for most people. I have these in my office at work and they routinely blow people away. (Or, they did, back when we weren't all working at home.) Every once in a while Dave puts these on sale for less than $700, which blows my mind; they are an absolute steal at that price.

I think the S1s get kind of lost in people's mind here because they don't use the RAAL tweeter in the flagship models, so there's this sense that since both the 340s and the S1s are dome tweeters, they're comparable. They really aren't. Better detail, better dynamics, tighter bass. Yes, even the mid-bass is better in the S1s. It's really a qualitative difference—the S1 is just a different animal and you get a different experience out of it.

Now, I'm not familiar with the Pioneer receiver you have but I promise you, the S1s will sound better than the 340s, pretty much no matter what you're feeding them. The S1 is just a really sweet speaker. If your budget goes to the S1, get the S1.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.