Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Center 2Ex or Duo?

Default Center 2Ex or Duo?

Been a while since I upgraded my S2's to EX's. I love the improvement. They nearly eliminate the need for sub in my space among other improvements.

I did not upgrade my S2 center, which is inside a Synergy Salamander triple cabinet. I'm not sure I need more bass out of the center, but am after maximum mid/high dialog intelligibility.

As much as I'd love a Horizon, I don't think it will fit. So my options are to upgrade my center to an Ex or try a Duo center.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Blingleberry; 04-23-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Default Re: Center 2Ex or Duo?

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    I did not upgrade my S2 center, which is inside a Synergy Salamander 3 cabinet. I'm not sure I need more bass out of the center, but am after maximum mid/high dialog intelligibility.
    It isn't just the bass that the EX woofer improves, but the combination of the new woofer allows Dave to improve the use of the RAAL tweeter with the new crossover, which then improves the midrange.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    It isn't just the bass that the EX woofer improves, but the combination of the new woofer allows Dave to improve the use of the RAAL tweeter with the new crossover, which then improves the midrange.
    Yes - certainly better than the original S2 to me.

...my options are to upgrade my center to an Ex or try a Duo center.

Any suggestions?
    I upgraded my S-2 center to a Duo. It's a marked improvement. The Duo center really punches above it's weight class. It's quite impressive, the Duo is.

Search around the archives here -- I believe that Dave has said that the Duo is a better center than the S-2EX under most circumstances.

That said, I'm also running with a pair of Rythmik LVX12 subs using 80 Hz xovers with everything. The subs also make an improvement in both dialog and L/R. Don't make the mistake of thinking that subs are only about the bottom two octaves or so. They also cleanup the midrange by doing the heavy lifting and therefore lowering the workloads on the other speakers.

Back to the Duo, my wife gave me "that look" when I upgraded to the Duo. But she had been complaining a bit about not being able to understand dialog in some of the TV series she was following. Even with a +2dB bump on the center channel. But she immediately took to the Duo, cured all of her dialog intelligibility problems all at once, and restored balance to the system at the same time by returning to a 0 dB bump. And neither she, nor I, have felt any need for a better center since I dropped the Duo in place and re-ran Audyssey for it. It's so good that she now denies ever giving me "that look" in the first place.

So... will it work for you? That's what the in-home trial period is for. What have you got to loose?
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Agree with Bruce. I went from S2 center to Duo and it was a great upgrade. So far, I've not gotten the look :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I certainly notice that in mine. But between that and comments that the Duo perhaps makes for a better center is my quandary! That and what am I going to do with a single S2?! I don't have the room or need to turn it into a rear or side.
    Last edited by Blingleberry; 04-23-2020 at 09:59 AM.

I had thought about buying a 2nd S2 to pair with my S2 center and use it in a 2nd system. Ultimately, I wound up selling it.

Was it easy to sell a single S2?

What have people done with their spare S2 woofer & crossovers? I might post mine to a custom speaker forum on FB.
    Last edited by Blingleberry; 04-23-2020 at 01:07 PM.

From my understanding if your S2 EX center is vertical then it’s the better speaker but if you need it horizontal than the duo is the better option. Depending how how you place your center should decide that for you.

Was it easy to sell a single S2?

What have people done with their spare S2 woofer & crossovers? I might post mine to a custom speaker forum on FB.
    It was for me but a bit lucky. I saw someone mention on another forum that he was thinking of picking up another to have a pair (as he had a single). I sent him a PM, followed by pics, then a price -- maybe 1-2 days and had the money via paypal.