Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Center 2Ex or Duo?

Default Re: Center 2Ex or Duo?

I’m not a speaker designer so I don’t know how much these differences actually make in dialogue intelligibility, but with the S2 oriented horizontally you no longer have the left and right sides of the cabinet rounded to reduce diffraction (now the top and bottom sides become the rounded sides). Since the RAAL ribbon tweeter has much more horizontal directivity and less vertical directivity, now you have a much different interaction between the tweeter and woofer when the two are side by side instead of one on top of the other. I guess the simple solution is to just test the difference but time to do stuff like this is limited with a newborn.

Maybe a question for Dave, but is the crossover of the Duo LCR higher than the crossover of the S2?

I get that stuff, I just defy a pair of ears to hear the diff! At least I know my ears can't!

All said and done, the duo center fits in my cabinet better and does sound a little better than the S2 did, so we're happy. I can't say its a huge diff and I haven't run ARC again yet. But dialog is clearer at lower volumes which was the goal.

There's also little less boom from sound bouncing around the cabinet too, maybe because of the lack of a back port.

Whats the soundstage like on the duo with it's 4.5 woofers? If you have a fairly large room is it enough? I can't believe it would have a bigger soundstage than the Sierra. Maybe I'm wrong.

I honestly couldn't tell you. I have a medium sized room and didn't have an issue with soundstage with the S2 I replaced. I just liked that the duo fit my cabinet better. I do find the dialog more understandable and it matches better with the 2EX's. So I'm happy.

That said, if I had the room in the cabinet, I might have instead gone with a horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    Whats the soundstage like on the duo with it's 4.5 woofers? If you have a fairly large room is it enough? I can't believe it would have a bigger soundstage than the Sierra. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Just a quick comment, soundstage generally refers to the height, depth and width of the space created by all the instruments, vocalists etc. This requires multiple speakers (typically a stereo pair). A center speaker, by definition, creates an "image" within the soundstage, locking dialogue and most special effects to the screen, presenting the image that these sounds are coming from the screen.

Woofer size and soundstage / imaging are not related, but smaller woofers do have wider dispersion.

Hope this makes sense!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com